Thread: dash home doesn't show anything (used: apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu

Beans

dash home doesn't show anything (used: apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu

I used apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop, but dash home didn't show anything. I reinstalled, and the same result.

What should I install to get it to work?

I only got a small icon "home" at the bottom center.

Beans

Re: dash home doesn't show anything (used: apt-get install --no-install-recommends ub

Try:

Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    to get the full "Ubuntu experience."

Beans

Re: dash home doesn't show anything (used: apt-get install --no-install-recommends ub

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Try:

Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    to get the full "Ubuntu experience."
    It takes all of my RAM. I'm installing this on a VPS, and RAM is limited.

Beans

You can try lightweight Xubuntu or Lubuntu desktop for limited RAM (512mb recommended as opposed to 1gb for Ubuntu).

Beans

The problem is, I'm a newbie, and I have no experience with what I'm trying to do.

One of the problems is that FreeNX (as far as I can remember) won't work with these.

Is there a solution for me to access my programs (or simply get dash to work) with my current installation?

With the --no-install-recommends argument, I still have lots of RAM free, so I can install some stuff still.

Beans

Anybody?