Thread: how to reset compiz and unity completely?

Beans

how to reset compiz and unity completely?

After the upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 compiz and unity constantly crash. I tried reinstalling them and using unity-reset programme but it does not totally reset unity and compiz. Compiz and unity do not crash on any other accounts on the laptop so I guess there is something wrong in the config files. So I'd like to completely reset the settings by probably deleting all config files and let the programmes recreate them again but I am not sure where they now are located. Any help is really appreciated.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans

Re: how to reset compiz and unity completely?

Try
    Code:
     dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    Then log out/in

Beans

Nothing works Tried the code above as well as deleting everything with compiz and unity from my home dir. I wonder if it is possible to reset everything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Last edited by timsdeepsky; November 25th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
    Deepsky....I woke up one day feeling a little darker than usual....My inevitable midlife search for meaning....http://timcline.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Be sure you have the dconf editor installed as suggested by the Webupd8 link.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Thanks a lot, guys but neither of the above has worked for me. It resets compiz probably the problem was not with compiz or unity. Anyway I did a full reset of my user account by logging in as a different admin user, moving /home/myname folder to /home/myname-backup, creating a new /home/myname folder, changing permissions with
    Code:
    sudo chown myname:myname /home/myname
    and copying all the stuff I need from the backed up forlder to the new one. So far so good. I am making this thread as solved but may reopen it if the problems actually persists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Please check back after while and let us know if this worked please....I would be curious to know what the difference was between 12.04 and 12.10 on this one....
    Deepsky....I woke up one day feeling a little darker than usual....My inevitable midlife search for meaning....http://timcline.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by timsdeepsky View Post
    Please check back after while and let us know if this worked please....I would be curious to know what the difference was between 12.04 and 12.10 on this one....
    Everything runs fine now.