Thread: Unable to mount external USB devices

Beans

Unable to mount external USB devices

When trying to mount an external USB device with my recently updated Ubuntu 12.10, an error message appears saying:

Adding read ACL for uid 1001 to `/media/user' failed: Operation not supported

I never had such a problem with previous versions. Please, I would need help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Unable to mount external USB devices

Maybe a permissions issue? My permissions on /media are 755 owner and group are root.
    On the sub folders the permissions vary - you could change the "user" folder to 777 to make the permissions wide open. Also make sure that /media/user is a folder and not a file

Beans

Looking for permissions I realized that the folder "user" didn't even exist. It seems that Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't mount the devices in the folder media directly, but in a subfolder with the name of the user. I created it and settled the permissions to 777, and my problem is already solved.

Thank you very much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have this same issue. (Never had it on previous versions of Ubuntu, but with 12.10 all external USB Thumb Drives I insert into the USB slot give the same message.)

How did you solve this?

Beans

To mount external devices you must have a folder with the name of your user in the folder media. As an administrator, you type in the console:

cd /media

to go to the media folder. Then:

sudo mkdir user

where user is the user name, to create the folder. The new folder belongs to the administrator. To make owner to your user:

sudo chown user user

Another choice is giving permission to everyone to write and read in that folder:

sudo chmod 777 user

After that I had no problem to mount external devices.