Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed to open gnome control center

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Failed to open gnome control center

After installing the latest updates, I cannot open system settings.

Code:
    serdotlinecho@raring:~$ gnome-control-center
    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkAspectFrame does not have a property called position

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolItem does not have a property called expand

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolItem does not have a property called homogeneous

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolbar does not have a property called position

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_toolbar_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (item)' failed

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolbar does not have a property called position

** (gnome-control-center:2479): CRITICAL **: Could not build interface: Error on line 160 char 13: Element 'interface' was closed, but the currently open element is 'child'

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_application: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_bin_get_child: assertion `GTK_IS_BIN (bin)' failed

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_show: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-control-center:2479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_present_with_time: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Failed to open gnome control center

sudo rm ~/.fonts.conf

.fonfs.conf is gone now on RR, replaced by /fontconfig and .fontconfig.
    Last edited by dino99; November 22nd, 2012 at 02:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    sudo rm ~/.fonts.conf

then logout/in, the system will recreate a clean .fonts.conf file
    Same here.
    I do not think I have ~/.fonts.conf, at least I can not see it...
    I've had it on prevoius install that was OO upgraded through time to RR...
    Anyhow, SystemSettings are not working with same error:
    Code:
    :~$ gnome-control-center 

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkAspectFrame does not have a property called position

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolItem does not have a property called expand

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolItem does not have a property called homogeneous

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolbar does not have a property called position

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_toolbar_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (item)' failed

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkToolbar does not have a property called position

** (gnome-control-center:23479): CRITICAL **: Could not build interface: Error on line 160 char 13: Element 'interface' was closed, but the currently open element is 'child'

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_set_application: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_bin_get_child: assertion `GTK_IS_BIN (bin)' failed

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_show: assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(gnome-control-center:23479): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_window_present_with_time: assertion `GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

My bad, i've answered without browsing the actual folders; of course, .fonfs.conf is gone now on RR, replaced by /fontconfig and .fontconfig.

But i've not your issue on i386 with "proposed" repo activated. Maybe you need to clean old packages/libs/settings (orphans)
    Last edited by dino99; November 22nd, 2012 at 02:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    My bad, i've answered without browsing the actual folders; of course, .fonfs.conf is gone now on RR, replaced by /fontconfig and .fontconfig.

But i've not your issue on i386 with "proposed" repo activated. Maybe you need to clean old packages/libs/settings (orphans)
    amd_64 here...
    If I understood You right, that is done...
    The only thing that's left is to try to upgrade to „proposed“...
    Yes, there is a new gnome-control-center there...
    I'll plunge... See You later... Or not...
    Bingo, it worked... Thank You...

See also:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=11
    http://www.iloveubuntu.net/gnome-con...04-non-default
    Last edited by zika; November 22nd, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

That was fixed with https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...3.6.3-0ubuntu4

And you don't need to use -proposed to get the update.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    That was fixed with https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...3.6.3-0ubuntu4

And you don't need to use -proposed to get the update.
    It did not come up before I turned proposed on... That is as much as I know... Maybe I was impatient too much, I needed GCC to change some power settings...
    As I installed in the meantime gnome-control-center-unuty it is only rhetorical now...
    Last edited by zika; November 22nd, 2012 at 03:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Doesn't look right to me on my netbook, this new gnome-control-center-unity...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

After installing the latest patch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

systems settings crashed. I was trying to start network to connect to hidden wireless WPA secured net.

The preceding replies mention updates which of course won't work because I can't get the internet up because systems settings crashed.

So I tried a 3.7.0-0 to try to report the crash. Apport crashed, and apport couldn't report an apport crash.

If the only way to get the systems settings bug fixed is updating which requires network running I'm SOL until someone reports the daily build has the fix and I try a new install.

Unless someone has a magic way to start "network" without selecting "system settings" first. My cli skills on network were never vary good and are now totally rusty. Maybe someone can help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast