Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Installing Ubuntu 12.10 to Dual Boot with Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Trouble Installing Ubuntu 12.10 to Dual Boot with Windows 8

You don't really need the separate /boot, and note what we said about booting the uefi device.

If all goes well, you shouldn't need to run boot-repair at all, it should work. Additional step might be needed to add ubuntu to the uefi loader, but if that is the case I think boot-repair can't help anyway since it can't add that. The only choice is to enter bios with Del and look for that uefi boot menu/manager or what ever it might be called.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

We have seem some systems have issues with very large / (root) partitions. Boot-Repair then does suggest the separate /boot.

I prefer a smaller / (root) partition of about 25GB and then the rest of the space you want to allocate for Ubuntu as either /home or just data partition(s).

One user posted this and said you could change the name of what you boot. But each vendor's implementation of UEFI is different.

Enter your UEFI menu, select "Boot maintenance manager", then "Boot options", then "Add boot option", then "NO VOLUME LABEL,....Primary,Slave...1, GPT,..", then browse the /EFI/ubuntu/ folder via the UEFI boot menu, and select the grubx64.efi . Give it the name you want (eg "Precise"), then "Commit Changes and exit", then Enter.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Cool Re: Trouble Installing Ubuntu 12.10 to Dual Boot with Windows 8

I am still working through this with the Ubuntu 12.10 SecureBoot remix on my ASUS laptop with 750gb hard drive and Windows 8 preinstalled.

One thing I should add is that the ASUS aptio (AMI) bios is VERY confusing and seems to be not that well thought out. It DOES detect the EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi secure boot loader on the sda1 fat32 partition (after I ran boot repair the first time). To boot back into Windows 8 I have to hit F2 quickly when I power on or restart. Changing the boot loader order doesn't work and I end up falling through to the network BOOTP fallback.

The only way I can choose boot is by setting the Windows 8 boot loader and ubuntu loader in the boot order screen, THEN go to the "Save changes" page and use the boot override to select one of the specific boot loaders.

I suspect their management of boot loader override is broken since they probably didn't bother to test it on a multi-OS setup with large hard disks.

In any case I can get to the Ubuntu loader but it doesn't seem to be able to load the initial kernel and ramdisk initrd. I suspect there's a problem with the gpt partition table and the way I have it partitioned:

sda1 fat32 300mb
    sda2 ntfs 600mb (Windows 8 recovery)
    sda3 unknown 128mb (???)
    sda4 ntfs 258gb (Windows 8)
    sda5 ntfs 20gb (Windows 8 restore)
    sda6 unknown (bios_grub?) 1mb
    sda7 ext4 413gb (Ubuntu 12.10)
    sda8 linux-swap 6gb

I wanted to share this because after several frustrating hours of trying to get this to work I'm beginning to realize that part of the problem may be that the AMI aptio UEFI loader may be making this much harder than it should be.

I can boot to my Ubuntu 12.10 Secure remix install DVD and to a boot repair CD and I can manually boot to Grub2 or WIndows 8, but it's not at all obvious.

Just bought this laptop yesterday (and was expecting some trouble with Windows 8 dual booting, but this has been a major headache). I suspect that getting Ubuntu dual-booting on some Windows 8 machines is going to be a moving target for a little while yet...

Beans

Thanks again for everyones' responses. I am continuing to work through it myself and have not yet solved this problem.

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 again by partitioning:

/ - 500 GB
    swap space - 10GB

to no avail. I think a smaller /boot partition may be necessary but I haven't got either working so I can't really say.

I found the 'Advanced Startup' options in Windows 8 which gives me some more options and I saw an 'ubuntu' option showing up in the list of 'Use another operating system' but when I tried to boot to that, I just get a black screen on startup 'Windows Boot Manager', which only allows me to select Windows 8 from the list of available OS's?

If anyone has any more insight into this issue(s) I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your time.

PS - Also in the 'Choose an operating system' settings in 'Advanced startup options' I have selected 'UEFI:ST1000DM003-9YN162' which seems to load the Windows Boot Manager each time. I just need to get 'Ubuntu' into this list to boot
    Last edited by jjwyse; November 22nd, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I still suggest the 25GB / (root) and separate /home. If that does not work then a separate /boot near the beginning of the drive may be required.

Does UEFI have a fast/quick boot setting, many BIOS do and that has caused issues. Some other seemingly unrelated settings can also cause issues.

@hgroover
    Windows in UEFI has a system reserved partition and you installed Ubuntu in BIOS mode so it added a bios_grub partition. Both are unformatted spaces for boot code, so partition tools show them as unknown since there is no format.
    The bios_grub is not required with UEFI.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

@oldfred I re-installed as you suggested:

/[root] - 25 GB
    /home - 630 GB
    swap - 10 GB

and booting directly to the UEFI it only allows me to choose Windows 8. I'm going to reboot to the Ubuntu on the flash drive and run boot-repair to see if this works now.

After running boot-repair, here is the report that I see now: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1378766/

Still unable to get an option to boot to ubuntu and it just goes to the 2nd boot option which is the USB drive. Only way around this to fix to get me able to boot to the hard drive has been to remove the Ubuntu 12.10 partitions, run boot-repair and then restart.

If you see anything obvious that needs changed please let me know. I'm going to head to bed for the night but have time tomorrow to continue to try to get this setup.
    Last edited by jjwyse; November 23rd, 2012 at 06:31 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

With multiple efi entries the UEFI should then give multiple choices. hgroover said he did see the ubuntu choice.

And then you can use boot repair to add the correct Windows boot entry to the grub menu which it looks like you have done.

Beans

OK, there are some further developments here.
    After my previous posting I went through boot repair a second time after reinstalling from the 12.10 secure remix.

My gpt0 is a fat16 partition with EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi and the aptio bios on my ASUS Q500 laptop does in fact now find this and allow me to select it in the boot order entry.

So I can power on and have grub2 come up by default. One small victory.

I can select the Windows UEFI loader from grub2 and it loads Windows 8. Also good.

I still have the problem where I can't seem to load the kernel. I'm still working through grub2 command line options but basically I end up with a blank screen and no disk activity trying to load the kernel and initrd.

I've also gone through the grub2 docs trying various options which may help me get better debug message visibility early in the boot process.

It could certainly have something to do with the disk size but I've shrunk Win8 down as far as I can / want to (258gb) and perhaps I'll need to do a custom install of ubuntu onto another partition split where I have a smaller boot / root partition which doesn't end after 500gb or wherever the boundary that is causing the failure lies.

I think that splitting my 450gb ubuntu partition may be the next step... I'd still like to better understand why that should be needed, it seems that grub should be able to handle it but at this point I just want to get it working...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It could be a grub/UEFI/BIOS issue, but if you get grub menu and screen is blank that may just be video issue. What video card/chip do you have?

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Beans

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

I have Intel HD Graphics 4000
    nomodeset has no effect
    I tried various vesa modes via vga= (824, 792, etc) but they have no effect
    The live CD correctly sets the video mode to 1366x768

I've tried modifying the boot options in the grub menu and also dropping to the grub command prompt (via c) and setting options by hand. I always get the same result: the last thing I have on my screen are the grub boot options I typed in, ending with linux ... then initrd ... then boot, and the system is hung.

Setting debug=all in grub doesn't give me much and seems to trigger some odd behavior.

I also have the "Advanced option" grub entries which boot with nomodeset, and both of them (normal and recovery) show

Loading Linux 3.5.0-17-generic ...
    Loading initial ramdisk ...

and nothing else. The system is still responsive to Ctrl-Alt-Del but nothing else and no disk activity. I've also tried waiting for 10 minutes or more. Interestingly I get short disk activity hitting ENTER twice, then again hitting ENTER twice - after that ctrl-alt-del doesn't work and I have to use the power button.

The 12.10 secure remix live CD works as does the regular x64 live CD.

When I use the grub command line I can view my 20gb boot filesystem including /var/log, but there is nothing interesting there.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    It could be a grub/UEFI/BIOS issue, but if you get grub menu and screen is blank that may just be video issue. What video card/chip do you have?

How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast