Thread: rEFIt dual boot stall

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy rEFIt dual boot stall

Hello, new here. So, I am not a huge fan of mac, but unfortunately at my school we have to have them. So, I decided to dual boot ubuntu. Now, I burned an image of it onto a dvd after installing rEFIt. I also created a partition for it, trying several different formats. So, what happens is, I put the disk in, restart my computer, see the linux icon, press enter on the linux icon. Then it just goes to a black screen with a blinking text input. that's where it stops. It doesn't do anything else (and trust me, I've waited), and it won't let me type. Just nada.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: rEFIt dual boot stall

I had the same problem, though using an USB stick, last saturday when trying to install xubuntu 12.04 amd64+mac version. Simply doesn't boot for me.
    Then I tried the normal xubuntu 12.04 amd64 version and I was able to boot and install.

I don't know which version you tried, and if this is the right way to proceed.
    But it worked for me.

Beans

Well, I'm using ubuntu 12.1 32bit. I'd really prefer to use that, not to mention I don't have any more disks to burn to.

Beans
    Distro

Ok.
    But, when it is not possible, maybe you want to try the
    amd64+mac or, when that is also not possible (in my case; neither 12.04 nor 12.10 possible), then the amd64 version.
    At least when installing in EFI mode, the version of your EFI ( >= core 2 duo should be 64bit (?) ) should match the OS, when I remember right.
    Last edited by zaebo; November 22nd, 2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Edit

Beans

Maybe I'm not getting you, but I only know of a "normal" version of ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

There is a "special" Mac version of Ubuntu 64bit.
    If I understand good, the difference of this version is, that it only runs in one boot mode, legacy I think, whereas the "normal" version offers two boot modes, to be bootable under BIOS and UEFI. The EFI of mac's seems to have a problem with that.
    (Also I have a problem with the mac version).

But should be only available for the 64bit Ubuntu.
    You can check it out here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...tive-downloads
    under 'Other Images' and select a mirror.