Thread: shopping for Ubuntu-friendly laptop/notebook again

Beans

shopping for Ubuntu-friendly laptop/notebook again

I've had some wifi trouble with a brand new Samsung Series 5 Ultra 14" Notebook. It appears to be hardware-related and is definitely not a Linux problem. After days of frustration, I'm returning the computer and buying something else.

Although the Samsung didn't pan out, it had certain features that are on my wish list for its successor:

1. 13-14" screen
    2. 750 GB hard drive (at least)
    3. 8 GB memory
    4. dull screen (to minimize glare)
    5. CD/DVD drive

Does anyone know of such a creature that's known to work well with Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: shopping for Ubuntu-friendly laptop/notebook again

Wifi trouble... Did you try to run the Jockey driver manager?

Beans

I didn't run the Jockey driver manager. The problem was in both Windows and Ubuntu. Windows wifi was messed up right out of the box.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by parminides View Post
    Although the Samsung didn't pan out, it had certain features that are on my wish list for its successor:
    1. 13-14" screen
    2. 750 GB hard drive (at least)
    3. 8 GB memory
    4. dull screen (to minimize glare)
    5. CD/DVD drive

Does anyone know of such a creature that's known to work well with Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10?
    My Asus X54C-SX261D (using K54C motherboard with i3-2330, using embedded Intel HD3000 graphics, AR9285 wireless, AR8151 Ethernet, USB3, etc.) is running Ubuntu 12.04 - 64 bit like a champ, and everything (except bluetooth - which required a minor tweaking) worked out-of-box. However, it has following -

1. 15.6" screen
    2. 500GB seagate HDD
    3. 2 (onboard) + 2 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM
    4. Glossy screen (which is not bad, but samsung screens are usually far better - especially in bright daylight)
    5. DVD-RAM drive

Of course, a cheap one and a no-match to your wish list. However, I'd say its performance is far beyond my expectations for its price. I give its credit to Asus' expertise in motherboards. So you may choose any other model which matches your criteria, but I don't think you'll get better screen in Asus than that of samsung.

Since you are replacing the current one for wifi issue, may I suggest to include AR9285 in your 'Favourite-list' ? Because although I have used it only a few times, but for extended periods (4-6 hrs.) and speeds were quite good and stable. Same for the Ethernet.

You may carry an Ubuntu Live-USB to do a quick verification of hardware compatibility. Most (but not all) of the retailers here in India don't mind letting the customer try the laptop this way.

If graphics is not a big issue for you, I'd strongly suggest to stick with embedded Intel HD graphics. Forums are full of both Nvidia and ATI problems ! Besides, I have compared the graphics performance with an AMD-A6 quad-core based model of Asus which had 1-GB dedicated-RAM ATI graphics (tested with Far-Cry 2 Game and a few fast-moving 1080i movie clips) - didn't notice any performance or visual difference on the laptop screens. Can't say about HDMI out, but for HD movies, even Intel HD2000 is more than sufficient. Oh, and I have tested that on my HDMI port, just didn't compare with the other model.

So the summary is - my suggestion - (if you can do a minor compromise with screen quality, or find a suitable one in Asus) - Asus + Intel HD + AR9285 + your remaining criteria = whatever comes out !

Hope I didn't make you fall asleep
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I ended up exchanging my laptop for a new one of the same model. The wifi works fine on it, so I'm not shopping for a new laptop now.