Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330

I just bought this machine, and found that Quantal Quetzal seems to run fine on it -- as long as I configure the machine for "Legacy Boot Mode" (thus not allowing me to access Dell's Windows 8 installation).

Note that you actually have to be in full legacy mode (No EFI allowed); if you specify a legacy boot while in UEFI mode, you're told that there are no boot devices available. Manually specifying a UEFI boot when in Legacy mode fails the same as when in "pure" UEFI mode (described below).

The behavior when attempting to boot via UEFI is the same whether booting from the DVD, USB, or hard drive:

GRUB comes up fine, but upon choosing any of the Linux options (Windows still loads fine), it goes to a blank screen with the same color as the menu background (black or purple, depending on whether you boot from removable or fixed drives), and hangs. When booting from a USB stick I can see about 3 seconds of additional activity (blinking R/W light) after the menu text disappears, but then no further sign of life. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. Pressing the power button immediately turns the machine off.

Initially, I thought it was maybe only a problem when booting from removable media, so I used legacy mode to install to the hard drive, after shrinking the Windows partition to make room. I installed GRUB to the Linux root partition, then used Boot-Repair to help me convert it to an EFI install. I had to manually copy the EFI loader file to the appropriate directory/name (BOOT/BOOTx64.EFI) on the EFI partition, then the machine booted to GRUB fine. As I said above, I can load Windows via GRUB, but anything involving the Linux kernel is dead.

Ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330

Did you install the 64 bit version of 12.10? That is the only one that supports secure boot with UEFI. The 12.04 will work with UEFI on non-secure boot systems and will get the new grub2 2.00 with the next point release to boot with secure boot systems.

Boot-Repair will automatically convert a BIOS install to UEFI install. You also need to edit fstab which Boot-Repair does when you uninstall grub-pc and install grub-efi.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or:
    Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did you install the 64 bit version of 12.10?
    Yes.

Here's the latest Boot-Repair report:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1375656/

On the hard drive (sda), /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi was, IIRC, originally a copy of /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.bkp (or, it was at least the same size & date of it -- I didn't run a checksum); I replaced it with /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi, since I could find no way in the BIOS setup to tell it to boot from a different file. On the flash drive (made from LiveCD iso), I didn't tamper with anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by cboling View Post
    /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi was, IIRC, originally a copy of /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.bkp
    I confirm. The presence of a *.efi.bkp file means that the corresponding *.efi file is a copy of /ubuntu/grubx64.efi file created by Boot-Repair, in order to workaround BIOS (like yours) which don't allow to boot the standard /ubuntu/grubx64.efi

I replaced it with /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi, since I could find no way in the BIOS setup to tell it to boot from a different file.
    Thanks for the feedback, i'll modify Boot-Repair to take such case into account.

GRUB comes up fine, but upon choosing any of the Linux options (Windows still loads fine), it goes to a blank screen with the same color as the menu background (black or purple, depending on whether you boot from removable or fixed drives), and hangs.
    This is a kernel (or graphic driver) problem. So don't change your BIOS settings any more, and let's try adding some kernel options:
    run Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> GRUB options tab --> tick "Add kernel option: nomodeset" --> Apply
    Tell us the new URL that will appear.
    Reboot the pc and tell us what you observe.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    This is a kernel (or graphic driver) problem. So don't change your BIOS settings any more, and let's try adding some kernel options:
    run Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> GRUB options tab --> tick "Add kernel option: nomodeset
    I actually tried nomodeset on the LiveCD, but it made no difference.
    Not that I really expected it to; since it works just fine when not booting from UEFI, I figured that it was not related to video modes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

since it works just fine when not booting from UEFI
    sorry, i missed that part in your 1st post.
    Then i have no clue... the issue may be related to Secure Boot, have you tried to disable it? ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UE...ng_Secure_Boot )

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    the issue may be related to Secure Boot, have you tried to disable it?
    Yes, no difference. (Sorry. Let's see, how many more things did I try that I forgot to mention?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Please create a bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...grub2/+filebug
    and tell us the link so that we can follow-up.

Beans
    Distro

Now filed as Bug #1082218.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks.
    There is a "SecureBoot" option in Boot-Repair, you can try it by:
    1) enabling SecureBoot in your BIOS
    2) run Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> GRUB options tab --> tick the "SecureBoot" option --> Apply
    3) tell me the new URL that will appear
    4) reboot the pc and tell me what you observe

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast