Thread: Upgrading my desktop

Beans

Upgrading my desktop

I am using an old dektop (hp compaq dc5000sf) but want to upgrade it to support ubuntu 12.04 LTS / WIn 7 home premium.

It will be a general home desktop with 8 GB RAM and suitable AMD Dual core or quad core processor and suitable motherboard.
    I intend to use the same cabinet if possible.
    Cost is a factor
    I am based in MI US. Propose to get things either locally or through Newegg/Tigerdirect,
    Can any body suggest a suitable configuration.
    Last edited by chinna saaeb; November 23rd, 2012 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Adding more information

Beans

Re: Upgrading my desktop

We need a bit more info, such as what you intend to use the system for and what size mobo (ATX, mATX, etc.) will fit in that chassis.

Beans

It is for general home use - home work, internet, may be some videos etc.
    No gaming however
    May use a vm - kvm to practice linux.
    Open to all options- simple rugged reliable and not very costly.
    Can change the cabinet also,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Support for AMD CPU's is pretty good, except, maybe for the newest one's. The CPU you will choose determines the motherboards you will be able to use. With respect to the motherboard, a lot depends on what features you require.

Beans

You should settle on a CPU before picking a mobo. As a longtime AMD user, I'd actually recommend Intel, especially if you're not into heavy gaming. The Intel CPU's just have better performance/Watt (important if using a small case) as well as a better IGP

The Core i3-3225 is a good choice (dual-core 3.3 GHz Ivy Bridge with Intel HD4000): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116774
    as well as the Core i5-3570k if you want a quad-core http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504

Beans

Thanks