Thread: Ubuntu one problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Ubuntu one problem

i have some music files which i like most so there is a thing that u can keep and burn disc for use and enjoy its leagal right? what would happen if i upload it to ubuntu one so i can backup the music? is it legal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Ubuntu one problem

I don't know that where you store the files matters. The user/purchaser agreement it one way to find out for sure. If the agreement says do not copy then don't. I am pretty sure a backup would be considered a copy.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Arrow Re: Ubuntu one problem

Quote Originally Posted by vibaviattigala View Post
    i have some music files which i like most so there is a thing that u can keep and burn disc for use and enjoy its leagal right? what would happen if i upload it to ubuntu one so i can backup the music? is it legal
    it will be waste memory...don't do that..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if the copying of legally purchased music is for personal use only it falls under the consumer fair use act, so yes, it is legal in the US.

PS despite where ever you are, I wouldn't be too worried about it as people aren't going to be viewing your Ubuntu One account. BUT, I am not a lawyer so anything I say is just my opinion.
    Last edited by dannyboy79; November 21st, 2012 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What's legal depends on where you live. In some countries (like the Netherlands) copying music without paying the copyright holder is illegal, whilst making a single backup for personal use is legal. Just don't share the backup, so that you can only play the music at one location at a time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vibaviattigala View Post
    It's beyond the scope of this forum to give legal advice (and this is not an Ubuntu One problem). Closed.