Thread: Direct cable connection between Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7 not working

Beans

Direct cable connection between Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7 not working

Hi All,

PC A is a laptop running 12.04 from an external hard drive. PC B is a Win 7 laptop running Win 7. I have an ethernet cable directly connecting them both. There's no router or ethernet hub or switch. I've spent a number of hours trying to view the Win PC from PC A. Nothing has worked. On PC A I've installed Samba, gvfs etc. On PC B I've enabled network sharing, etc.

How can I get PC A to see the files on PC B? I've spent hours googling for solutions and looking on various Ubuntu forums. Nothing has worked.

On PC A the network icon is showing 2 thick arrows pointing up and down which means something is connected.

I keep getting the errors: "Nautilus cannot handle "network" locations." and "Failed to retrieve share list from server".

Any solutions? Thanks,

Advait
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome) and 500GB nvme (also Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome as a backup)

Here, There and Everywhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Direct cable connection between Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7 not working

Have you confirmed that the ethernet cable is a "crossover" cable, not a "standard" cable? A crossover cable has some pins swapped so the devices can talk to each other; a standard cable needs a hub or router.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Have you manually set the IP Addresses on both computers? With a direct network connection there will not be a DHCP Server to assign IP Addresses.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Have you confirmed that the ethernet cable is a "crossover" cable, not a "standard" cable? A crossover cable has some pins swapped so the devices can talk to each other; a standard cable needs a hub or router.
    Ahhh... Interesting. That's probably it. I'll try to track down a crossover cable. Thanks!
    MSI Bravo 15 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 15.6" 40GB A4DDR-212IN, 2TB nvme (Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome) and 500GB nvme (also Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Gnome as a backup)

Here, There and Everywhere.