Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem installing OS without optical drive or USB boot option.

Beans

Problem installing OS without optical drive or USB boot option.

Hola people,

Mods.., hope this is the correct section for this post. Feel free to move if not.

I have been trying to install Peppermint 3 (based on Ubuntu 12.04) onto an old Toughbook CF-28, 30 Gb, 800Mhz, 256Mb Ram, which has no optical drive nor USB boot option.

After scouring the Web, the general opinion seemed to be to, burn a CD, install the OS onto the HD, whilst it is installed in another machine (with CD/DVD), then plug it back into the desired machine, and off you go...

I didn't think that was possible but my choices are very limited so I gave it a go...

Needless to say that didn't work.

Although it installed seamlessly using an old Compaq Evo notebook, all I get when I then install the HD back into the CF-28 is a black screen with a small, flashing/blinking white line in the upper left of the screen.

I can enter bios no probs and the boot order is HD, CD, Floppy.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be the problem?

I am living in South America and do not have the money to buy a new laptop, nor can I find a CD caddy here and desperately need this laptop for my work.

Any help would be great...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem installing OS without optical drive or USB boot option.

Moved to Other OS.

When installing any operating system you have to be sure where boot loader is installed. Did grub get installed to the 30GB drive? Often grub defaults to sda and just installs to an internal drive.

Also video issues could be a concern.

Plug drive back into other system and run Boot-Repair.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or:
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

You can do a PXE (network boot) installation on that machine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gazucha View Post
    Hola people,

Mods.., hope this is the correct section for this post. Feel free to move if not.

I have been trying to install Peppermint 3 (based on Ubuntu 12.04) onto an old Toughbook CF-28, 30 Gb, 800Mhz, 256Mb Ram, which has no optical drive nor USB boot option.

After scouring the Web, the general opinion seemed to be to, burn a CD, install the OS onto the HD, whilst it is installed in another machine (with CD/DVD), then plug it back into the desired machine, and off you go...

I didn't think that was possible but my choices are very limited so I gave it a go...

Needless to say that didn't work.

Although it installed seamlessly using an old Compaq Evo notebook, all I get when I then install the HD back into the CF-28 is a black screen with a small, flashing/blinking white line in the upper left of the screen.

I can enter bios no probs and the boot order is HD, CD, Floppy.

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be the problem?

I am living in South America and do not have the money to buy a new laptop, nor can I find a CD caddy here and desperately need this laptop for my work.

Any help would be great...

You can install the free Plop Boot Manager to a very old computer without USB disk and optical boot support. Basically, it will set up a USB flash drive in the BIOS as another virtual hard drive your computer will recognize and then you can do a live boot and install your Linux operating system to your computer's standard hard drive.

Hope this helps!

Beans

Hi again, thanks for the responses.

Well, I tried to burn and run Boot-Repair, however, I had to burn it in Widows, (not a spelling mistake, it's what my Wife has become) which means that my Linux Evo doesn't read the DVD. So that idea is currently shelved.

I have just been trying Plop Boot Manager, however I don't understand the convoluted install instructions.

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/thebootmanager.html

e.g. I get section 1...

Section 2... Which main menu? Where?

etc. etc.

Not including many previous wasted days without success, I have already spent the last 4 entire days and evenings on this and I actually consider my life to be more valuable than to live as a computer Geek (although maybe I'm wrong).

Does no-one use plain-English instructions within the Linux community?

My internet connection is constantly being disrupted just to make my life easier.

I also had a look at the PXE, and didn't understand that either. Do I have to register somewhere? which files do I load, where? and how? or do I need an external HD?

These and other questions shall be answered shortly....

Patience is a virtue.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Gazucha; November 21st, 2012 at 07:29 PM.

Beans

Just write the plpbtin.img as a IMAGE (don't just copy it across) to a floppy disk (I think your laptop has one of those) and boot off it. Once it has loaded just tell it to boot from your usb or cd-rom drive.

What OS do you currently have access to to write that plpbtin.img image with and I could try and give you more detailed instructions on how to write it to a floppy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    when installing any operating system you have to be sure where boot loader is installed. Did grub get installed to the 30gb drive? Often grub defaults to sda and just installs to an internal drive.

Also video issues could be a concern.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    Just write the plpbtin.img as a IMAGE (don't just copy it across) to a floppy disk (I think your laptop has one of those) and boot off it. Once it has loaded just tell it to boot from your usb or cd-rom drive.
    Gazucha, do you have USB-CD drive or USB-flash?
    If you installed peppermint correctly onto the HDD, I suggest you to use Super Grub2 Disk.
    It can be written to a floppy disk also.
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/categor...2diskdownload/
    Last edited by kiyop; November 22nd, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Gazucha View Post
    Is the old Compaq Evo still working the same? What OS did / does that have installed? When you installed on this HD, did you replace the existing drive for the new one?

The issue of where "Grub" (bootloader) was installed when you initially installed Ubuntu on the Evo is important. The answers to the above questions may help us work that out.

If you don't understand any of this, then you are likely going to struggle. Remember, most people do not install any OS ever, and installing without bootable media is even harder.

Beans

First, This is NOT how I wrote it, BUT 6 TIMES EDITING this, seems to have NO effect!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks to you all for your time and contributions. Hi Mips... absolutely no Floppy Drive in the area, but thanks for the thought. Kiyop, No USB CD-drive nor USB-Flash. UGM6HR, Compaq is working sweet (writing to you now)... didn't install on THIS hard drive. Replaced with another. KInda like the sound of SuperGrub 2 Disk. I'll have a look. USB 2.0, CD/DVDRW, PCMCIA etc. Running Mint 13 'Maya' Mate edition. No problems... ,internet via Network cable, 3 External Hard drives and various USB data keys free to use... It's not that I don't understand anything, I just needed a break and as we all know, after too long at the desk, info' just stops making sense. Had today and yesterday off. Ready to absorb information again. I don't believe this is beyond resolution or I would never have started.
    Last edited by Gazucha; November 24th, 2012 at 02:44 AM. Reason: U Forums doesn't post as I write

Beans

Thanks for your reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazucha
    Kiyop, No USB CD-drive nor USB-Flash.
    So, you need not use PLoP boot manager.
    Super Grub2 disk (floppy) is better.
    Can you connect the problematic HDD, which is now connected to Toughbook CF-28, to correctly working Compaq Evo?
    If you can, please confirm that there is a partition which contains /boot, /dev and /home directories in the problematic HDD.
    If you can run boot info script, execute it while the problematic HDD is connected, and post the contents of the generated RESULTS.txt between "[ code]" and "[ /code]" (please omit the spaces just after "[").
    You can get boot info script at http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

And as oldfred pointed out, you can use Boot Repair, although I am not familiar with it.
    Last edited by kiyop; November 24th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
    OpenBox: Debian Wheezy, Sid, Snowlinux, Aptosid, Siduction, Crunchbang, Ubuntu, Mint, ZorinOS, OS4, Arch, Manjaro, Mageia, Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS, Sabayon, Slackware, Win XP/7
    http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast