Thread: PSU Question

Beans

PSU Question

Hi, I'm in the process of building a computer, and here are my parts so far:

Asus Z77 Maximus V Gene

Intel i5-3570k

8 gig Adata memory, 4x2

Corsair CX 430 V2

Now my nvidia 7600 gt is getting old and rusty, and I'm probably going to get the new 640 gt, and I was wondering whether the new PSU i'm getting will be able to handle both, as my old 550w PSU has that old 4-pin instead of the 8, and I don't want to risk all that on the line with a 4 to 8 adaptor.

Thanks,
    Codingman
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: PSU Question

unless you are doing some serious overclocking yuo can you your 4pic CPU plug, adapters are pointless since the point is to get more power to the cpu, an adapter would just split what power you have to 8 pins
    a 8 pin cpu plug should also support a pin plug, i saw one board that came with a dust cap for the second 4 pins
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    Now my nvidia 7600 gt is getting old and rusty, and I'm probably going to get the new 640 gt
    The 7600gt and 640gt both use 65 Watts @ max power draw.

You should calculate the max power draw of your entire system, cpu, gpu, MB, HDD, optical drives etc and see if it leaves you with any head room. http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

That said I would just get a 600-650W PSU (seems to be what most builders are using) and sleep peacefully at night. Stick to corsair, antec, seasonic as they are great brands. The PSU is the most important part of any system build.
    Last edited by mips; November 22nd, 2012 at 09:05 AM.

Beans

I would go with a 800w PSU, preferably one that is rated Bronze or higher.. You can use less, but the extra watts may come in handy if you feel like a extra HDD or more in the future and if you feel like adding LEDs and Cathodes for flare.. Always better to have more then you need then to pull to heavy of a load on the PSU and cause the whole system to overheat and burn up..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654