Thread: Government can rip into your online life freely and easily now

Beans
    Hidden!

Government can rip into your online life freely and easily now

Leahy's rewritten bill would allow more than 22 agencies -- including the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Communications Commission -- to access Americans' e-mail, Google Docs files, Facebook wall posts, and Twitter direct messages without a search warrant. It also would give the FBI and Homeland Security more authority, in some circumstances, to gain full access to Internet accounts without notifying either the owner or a judge. (CNET obtained the revised draft from a source involved in the negotiations with Leahy.)
    How long before they will be able to reach into your home PC to see what you have locally?

I already knew they scan for keywords in online communications.
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57...hout-warrants/

Is there a backdoor way in for MS windows and is this something we should desire for Linux? To catch the bad guys of course. Thing is the bad guys change with the times and the seasons. What is good could become bad.

Beans

Re: Government can rip into your online life freely and easily now

I suspect logically the best way would be to compromise the ubuntu repository.
    There was fairly recently an article saying how some peripheral servers to the repository ones were breached, can't remember exactly, but i think it meant the repository being off-line for a bit. Whether that all got resolved fine. Who knows.

Screen your code, i guess. Or don't do anything naughty, lol.

Beans

P.s the thing with facebook/twitter e.t.c is that you are under no sort of legal obligation, to actually tell the truth about anything.

As long as you realise this, then you can either decide a) not to impart any information about yourself whatsoever, or b) impart completely and utterly false information.

Therefore the information becomes useless.

Beans

Google, facebook, twitter etc can already do this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

"Discussions on religion and politics are not allowed."

Closed.