Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triple boot ubuntu 12 with windows 7 and Mac OS X Lion. Need partition help.

Beans

Re: Triple boot ubuntu 12 with windows 7 and Mac OS X Lion. Need partition help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    64bit. That is AMD64 which is for all 64bit machines, Intel and AMD (some people get a bit confused by that).

/ = root, OS, 20Gb is plenty;
    /home = large as you like as this needs to hold all personal data, e.g. music, vids, documents, etc.;
    /swap = 2Gb is fine.

As for the /boot partition, I used one in the first install (back in 2007) and have never used one since. If you do use one it doesn't need to be big but you will need to research that.

The biggest difference is that 12.04 LTS is a long term support release (five years) and 12.10 is not (18 months). Incidentally, 12 = 2012, .04 = April. So it was released in April 2012 and is therefore more stable as older than 12.10 (for some people but this depends a lot on hardware). 12.10 may also have some slightly newer versions of some apps. Again, you might want to dig deeper about the differences but essentially they are pretty similar.

Personally, a stable install is essential so I always run an LTS as my main squeeze and have three other partitions for my playthings (12.10 and 13.04 will soon occupy two of these partitions). Take note that all installs can use the same /home and /swap partitions so you don't need to create for each.

I have a partition for data and use that as 'home' by stealth! Basically I create a 20Gb / partition and /swap, in which case Ubuntu automagically creates a /home directory in / rather than a partition. I then delete the folders in there (documents, music etc but NOT hidden folder or the Desktop folder) then symlink the existing documents, music, etc folders in the data partition so a shortcut to them appears in the /home directory. Voila! That way, you can have three installs and everything in all three /home directories is identical.

Good luck. Ubuntu provides many options so you might like to have a beverage and sit with a pencil and paper to plan exactly how you're going to go about it.
    Oh no!!!. I installed AMD64bit two times (12.10 and 12.04LTS). I knew that the title of the download file is AMD and some where I have in mind that it was not for intel but still it was in same location along with 32bit.So I was also bit confused, anyway my laptop is now running on 12.04LTS amd64 bit.

Do you think I may have problems of using amd64bit OS on intel 64bit machine?. Because for the last 12hrs I did had 3-4 internal errors reporting.Are there any 64bit for intel?.

By the way I fixed Brightness issue with executable script. So I got couple of things to get sorted.

Many Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Triple boot ubuntu 12 with windows 7 and Mac OS X Lion. Need partition help.

No. Wrong track. Don't go there. That is what I mentioned. AMD64 ISO is for both Intel and AMD 64bit processors. I also mentioned people got confused about that ... which is why I mentioned it.

The problems are not related to that. Look elsewhere and I advise you to mark this thread as solved and post a new one(s) with a descriptive title(s) for any further issues. Don't post one thread about several issues, one for each. You will increase your chances of us helping you and avoid confusion.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 22nd, 2012 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    No. Wrong track. Don't go there. That is what I mentioned. AMD64 ISO is for both Intel and AMD 64bit processors. I also mentioned people got confused about that ... which is why I mentioned it.

The problems are not related to that. Look elsewhere and I advise you to mark this thread as solved and post a new one(s) with a descriptive title(s) for any further issues. Don't post one thread about several issues, one for each. You will increase your chances of us helping you and avoid confusion.

Good luck.
    Alright Bucky. I got u. Confused before while reading your reply. Now everything is clear for me.

Now I'm going to mark this thread as solved.

Thank you very much for your time and support.

Have a nice weekend.

Catch you later. Bye.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Happy to help and catch you round the forums ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12