Thread: Ubuntu network bug?

Beans

Ubuntu network bug?

I try to start my ubuntu machine as a dhcp server on a network with some computers and only a switch. When i start ubuntu connected to that hub (no other connections) it starts without full network capabilities and says the following at boot:

waiting for network configuration" and "waiting up to 60 more seconds" and then "booting system without full network configuration"

How can i setup my ubuntu so that i don't need a router/inernet connection?
    Becaus if i start my ubuntu server connected to my normal home network it boots just fine.

Is this a bug???
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu network bug?

If you have no other router on the system, I believe your server will essentially have to BE the router, either for the internal network or between networks, with a full IP stack and be configured with the required server configuration files.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu network bug?

With only a switch the config your using has nothing to route traffic the swich will work if its going from the modem to the swich to the computer but thats not really gonna to do much you could add a router to handle this task or use a computer as the router. I found this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Router I have not tried it yet but it is on my list of to-do projects

Quote Originally Posted by jessede View Post
    I try to start my ubuntu machine as a dhcp server on a network with some computers and only a switch. When i start ubuntu connected to that hub (no other connections) it starts without full network capabilities and says the following at boot:

waiting for network configuration" and "waiting up to 60 more seconds" and then "booting system without full network configuration"

How can i setup my ubuntu so that i don't need a router/inernet connection?
    Becaus if i start my ubuntu server connected to my normal home network it boots just fine.

Is this a bug???