Thread: Lubuntu 12.04 temperamental with wireless trackball.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Lubuntu 12.04 temperamental with wireless trackball.

Hi!

I just upgraded to Lubuntu 12.04 yesterday. One annoying little quirk so far. Sometimes it won't react to my wireless trackball when I start the computer. If I take the USB connector out and then put it back in, it works fine. That didn't happen before with Lubuntu 11.10.

I have a Logitech M570 wireless trackball, with a Unifying wireless connector. I prefer using this for my Toshiba Satellite A100 that I have Lubuntu installed on. I often turn it off to prolong battery life; although that's probably not necessary.

Should I just leave it on all the time to make sure it starts properly? Or should I only turn the trackball off when the computer's powered down and then turn it on before booting up?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lubuntu 12.04 temperamental with wireless trackball.

It looks to me like the problem is turning off the power on the wireless trackball, even when the computer is turned off.

If I never turn off the keyboard power, there seems to be no problems.

But if I turn off the keyboard to save the batteries a teeny weeny bit of power, then when I next turn on the computer, my trackball isn't recognized at log in time, until I remove the wireless USB connector and put it back in again.

Just a wee nuisance, but nothing major...

Beans

My sister had an issue with her M570 mouse not picking up after a Precise Pangolin upgrade. First not recognized after a partial (failed) upgrade, then still not showing when upgrade successfully completed.

Her keyboard is also a wireless Logitech, with a Bluetooth dongle that looks identical, and both were plugged in at the back of her PC. With keyboard dongle unplugged, mouse started working again. Now both work with one dongle in frontside USB, one still in back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by everlong View Post
    My sister had an issue with her M570 mouse not picking up after a Precise Pangolin upgrade. First not recognized after a partial (failed) upgrade, then still not showing when upgrade successfully completed.

Her keyboard is also a wireless Logitech, with a Bluetooth dongle that looks identical, and both were plugged in at the back of her PC. With keyboard dongle unplugged, mouse started working again. Now both work with one dongle in frontside USB, one still in back.
    I don't have any bluetooth stuff, so that's not a problem. I'll try to plug the keyboard in a back USB port and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
    The Ubuntu family is your computer's friend!
    Always trust an Ubuntu OS!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question Re: Lubuntu 12.04 temperamental with wireless trackball.

I have the same Logitech Wireless Trackball m570 connected to my laptop using Lubuntu 12.04. Sometimes it doesn't pick up any movement at all, and sometimes it seems laggy. Like the cursor won't move as quickly as I'm moving the mouse. Is there a permanent solution to this issue?

I tried leaving it on, but still when it boots I have to unplug and plug in the usb dongle. I tried movie the call to keep it 'active' that didn't seem to work either.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qbproger View Post
    I have the same Logitech Wireless Trackball m570 connected to my laptop using Lubuntu 12.04. Sometimes it doesn't pick up any movement at all, and sometimes it seems laggy. Like the cursor won't move as quickly as I'm moving the mouse. Is there a permanent solution to this issue?

I tried leaving it on, but still when it boots I have to unplug and plug in the usb dongle. I tried movie the call to keep it 'active' that didn't seem to work either.

Any ideas?
    Well, it does seem to work. However, the computer sometimes does not recognize the wireless trackball at first. But if I remove the USB connector and put it back it it works just fine. A bit annoying, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Is there a work around for having to pull out and put back in the USB connector?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qbproger View Post
    Is there a work around for having to pull out and put back in the USB connector?
    I don't know; I've been trying to find that out myself. No luck yet.

It doesn't happen as often now. Which is a bit of an improvement, but still not 100%

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had the same issue when I first used my M570 trackball. I found that swithching the ball on AFTER 12.04 has loaded cured it. It's been fine since.