Thread: Dapper LTSP

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Dapper LTSP

I used this guide to set up LTSP* on my Dapper system (non-edubuntu) and I gotta say, my laptop is actually faster when I boot it as a terminal than when I boot it from it's own HDD. The process is also extremely simple and straight forward, Ubuntu rocks!

*For those of you who don't know LTSP stands for Linux Terminal Server Project. That means that a powerful machine is set up as a server and older and slower machines are set up to boot over the network into the server in effect becoming dumb terminals. All the processing is taken care of on the server as well as all the storage and I/O data is sent over the network to/from the terminals.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Dapper LTSP

How do the programs work? Will all the same programs run?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Dapper LTSP

Everything runs just the same if it were installed on your machine. I run Automatix on the machine that is the server now and I can use all of the software it installed.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.