Thread: mounting a FAT32 disk image?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

mounting a FAT32 disk image?

i created a disk image of an SD card which i moved a file off, but seemingly got corrupted during the move..

looking at the disk in a hex editor indicated the files still existed, replaced the first characters in the deleted files names (to "undelete" them), and saved as a disk image. however, windows seemingly can't mount a file as a drive, for browsing and reading of the files in it..

how do i go about mounting this on ubuntu?

running 12.04.
    Intel Pentium 4 Asus P5N32-SLI DELUXE Nvidia nx7900GT 3GB Ram Western Digital WD2500AAKX 250GB Seagate Barracuda 80GB, 160GB Ubuntu 12.04 Arch

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: mounting a FAT32 disk image?

You could do it with the terminal, if you're into that...
    Code:
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /location/of/iso /mount/point
    Or you could follow the instructions here to do it graphically or some other way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountIso

I thought there was an option to mount when you right clicked on it? I dunno, I use KDE. But good luck.
    Sincerely,
    - R.R. G.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /media/New\ Volume/Q3HD_SD\ (E) /home/user/Zoom
    bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    not sure what it could be..

i'll try one of the graphical methods..
    Intel Pentium 4 Asus P5N32-SLI DELUXE Nvidia nx7900GT 3GB Ram Western Digital WD2500AAKX 250GB Seagate Barracuda 80GB, 160GB Ubuntu 12.04 Arch

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It looks like the location of the .iso that you specified is not actually an .iso file. It looks like it's probably a folder or another type of file. Try clicking and dragging the .iso file directly into the terminal.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Is the image just a "partition" on the SD, or the entire SD? You can sudo mount an image of a CD/DVD or partition or filesystem in a file, using -o loop option, but I do not know if that works for an image of an entire drive. In a terminal see man mount then type /loop and keep hitting n until you get to THE LOOP DEVICE.

But unless you reformatted an SD card or dd'd a CD image to it, the default filesystem type would usually be -t vfat, not -t iso9660.

The most common place to mount something in Ubuntu is to sudo mkdir a mount point in /media (or you could create the mount point in /mnt). I added /media/vdisk as a mount point for manually loop mounted image files.

Example of loop mounting the persistent data file (casper-rw) of bootable live/install iso on USB stick:

Code:
    efflandt@XPS8100-1204:~$ ls /media
    SONY8GB  vdisk

efflandt@XPS8100-1204:~$ ls -a /media/vdisk
    .  ..

efflandt@XPS8100-1204:~$ ls /media/SONY8GB
    autorun.inf  casper     dists  install      md5sum.txt  pool     README.diskdefines  wubi.exe
    boot         casper-rw  efi    ldlinux.sys  pics        preseed  syslinux

efflandt@XPS8100-1204:~$ sudo mount -t ext3 /media/SONY8GB/casper-rw /media/vdisk -o loop

efflandt@XPS8100-1204:~$ ls /media/vdisk
    boot  cdrom  etc  home  lib  lost+found  media  mnt  rofs  target  tmp  usr  var
    I was not sure how to mount an entire boot drive image (a slim lxde Debian ARM image to boot a Raspberry Pi from SD, containing /boot and / partitions). But I set up a similar Debian system with lxde in VirtualBox and used VirtualBox to add the Raspian image as another hard drive. Then I used /etc/fstab in the VBox Debian to mount the /boot and / partitions of the image to see what was on them.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans
    Distro

thanks.. haven't tried anything yet, but it should work now.. (that make sense about the -vfat, instead of the iso thing..)

Thanks again