Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Restoring pull-down menus (alacarte) in 12.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Restoring pull-down menus (alacarte) in 12.10.

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, bilkay,

You PostedI had Posted:Ubuntu 3D is UNITY, and ClassicMenu Indicatorworks with Unity.

Try it and see, and if you want to create launchers for your self-made programs, study the forums that tell you how to do so, just use Search..

Chao!, bogan.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to create a launcher on my desktop by adding a template in ~/Templates.

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Icon[en_US]=
    Exec=
    Name[en_US]=Application launcher
    Comment[en_US]=
    Name=
    Comment=
    Icon=
    I still haven't figured out how to get the ClassicMenu to work with ubuntu (Unity?). That would be nice but not critical. One odd thing was that I was able to drag the desktop launcher onto the launcher bar, but it didn't display the icon - just an empty space, but it did launch the app.
    Last edited by bilkay; November 21st, 2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, bilkay,

If you added the ppa, updated and installed the 'ClassicMenu Indicator', its Icon will appear in the Dash display - enter 'Classic' in the search box, and click on the icon.

The first time you do so, and it runs, a Ubuntu logo Icon will appear in the top right toolbar.

From then on, just select that Icon and the usual drop-down menus will appear.

Note that there is no 'Places' menu, and the 'Administration' & 'Preferences' menus are sub-menus of 'System Tools' in the Main menu.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I Make LTS Suck Less?

Quote Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
    Actually, it didn't answer the question of how to get the menu in Unity. I'd settle for being able to create a launcher for programs I create, but I can't find any way to do that other than typing the program name in a terminal. I find that very unsatisfactory. If I wanted that kind of inflexibility, I'd stick with *******.
    You might be happier with an *buntu version other than Unity such as Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Another thing I've done is to add alternative desktops to Ubuntu. If you look in the software center, you can download and install Xfce-desktop or LXDE desktop. You can then log out and when the greeter appears, there's a little gear icon to the right of user names. Click on that gear and different installed desktops/environments will be listed. I personally prefer gnome (shell) with some extensions to get a hybrid between the 'traditional' desktop with menus and search apps. For instance, there are a couple extensions that give application menus when clicked.

If you insist on desktop launchers, you can try this. It works in gnome:

Code:
    gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new
    You have to know the command to launch your app, of course and you choose the icon for the launcher. I use this for administering printers. The new printers app is a step in the wrong direction but the older one is still available in the repositories and still works. The same is true of users & groups.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Hi!, bilkay,

If you added the ppa, updated and installed the 'ClassicMenu Indicator', its Icon will appear in the Dash display - enter 'Classic' in the search box, and click on the icon.

The first time you do so, and it runs, a Ubuntu logo Icon will appear in the top right toolbar.

From then on, just select that Icon and the usual drop-down menus will appear.

Note that there is no 'Places' menu, and the 'Administration' & 'Preferences' menus are sub-menus of 'System Tools' in the Main menu.

Chao!, bogan.
    Success! It's sucking less and less every day! (By "sucking," I mean being like *******.)

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good news. When/if it's acceptably less sucky please mark the thread as 'Solved' to help others if you willl.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123