Thread: Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

Beans

Exclamation Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

I have a private email server, normally I used squirrelmail to access it, but I would like to use thunderbird.

Thunderbird want access to port 587 if I use STARTLS.

The version of sendmail provided on Lubuntu 12.04, only provides access to port 587 using localhost.

I want access to domain-name 587, so I can use a laptop when working from a customer site.

It looks like all you should do is to remove the no_default_msa, and type make and reload the configs.
    Doing this, generates a message about 'opendaemonsocket: deamon MSA: can not bind: Address already in use, sendmail then dies with a message about SMTP socket wedged: exit

SO does anybody known how to configure sendmail so that it will accept non localhost connections on port 587?
    I have looked on the wider net, but most of the answers either do not work or are several years out of date!

Beans

Re: Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

The follwoing row from sendmail.mc:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Name=MSP-v4, Port=submission, M=Ea, Addr=127.0.0.1')dnl

Should become

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, Name=MSP-v4, Port=submission, M=Ea')dnl

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Trying to send up port 587 on sendmail

You also have to rebuild sendmail.cf and restart sendmail itself. I usually use symbolic links in the /etc/mail directory like this:

Code:
    cd /etc/mail
    sudo m4 < sendmail-new.mc > sendmail-new.cf
    sudo mv sendmail.cf sendmail-old.cf
    sudo ln -s sendmail-new.cf sendmail.cf
    sudo service sendmail restart
    Then if something goes wrong it's easy to revert to sendmail-old.cf just by repointing the symlink.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users