Thread: Dolphin search problems

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Dolphin search problems

I used to use Nautilus in Ubuntu, but now use Dolpin in Kubuntu 12.04

I can't find the (full) search features in Dolphin, the 'find' for 'content' doesn't seem to work.

All I want to do is a recursive search through various folders, looking for a string in each file, and return the results

Any Clues ??

Oygle

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Dolphin search problems

Quote Originally Posted by oygle View Post
    I used to use Nautilus in Ubuntu, but now use Dolpin in Kubuntu 12.04

I can't find the (full) search features in Dolphin, the 'find' for 'content' doesn't seem to work.

All I want to do is a recursive search through various folders, looking for a string in each file, and return the results

Any Clues ??

Oygle
    I am on Dolphin Version 2.1 Using KDE Development Platform 4.9.3, but this should be available for you also.
    I have both an icon looking like binoculars, and have set my Control Settings to Show the Menu Bar.
    So, I can either click on the binoculars, or click though Edit > Find.
    In the Find entry box, enter a string (there may be a way to enter a regular expression)
    Underneath, change Filename to Content, and I leave Search from here alone, as that is by default searching recursively through my home directory.
    The results are Filenames.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Are you trying to search hidden directories? If so I believe there is a bug that prevents searching hidden directories using dolphin. http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94849

I can't search hidden directories using dolphin's find feature, but searching for unhidden files and directories is working well. Dolphin 2.1, KDE 4.9.3

'Kfind' is a good alternative to search hidden directories.

PS. The Nepomuk/Strigi also defaults to not searching hidden directories (probably for performance and organisation reasons). Individual hidden directories can be added for indexing at System Settings > Desktop Search > Desktop Query > Customize Index Folders > Show Hidden Folders.
    Last edited by ankspo71; November 19th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mparillo View Post
    I have both an icon looking like binoculars, and have set my Control Settings to Show the Menu Bar.
    I didn't have menu bar showing, but have now. I'm using Dolphin 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by mparillo View Post
    So, I can either click on the binoculars, or click though Edit > Find.
    In the Find entry box, enter a string (there may be a way to enter a regular expression)
    Underneath, change Filename to Content, and I leave Search from here alone, as that is by default searching recursively through my home directory.
    The results are Filenames.
    Results are no filenames for me, even if I go to the exact path, and try one filename, no results. Dolphin uses Nepomuk, maybe that is where the problem is ??

Thanks,

Oygle

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ankspo71 View Post
    Are you trying to search hidden directories? If so I believe there is a bug that prevents searching hidden directories using dolphin. http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=94849
    Yes, it is in a lot of paths for KMail, which have hidden directories. I then went and tried in a path with no hidden and the search worked.

I'm using Dolphin 2.0 and KDE 4.8.5

'Kfind' is a good alternative to search hidden directories.
    Thanks, I will try Kfind.

PS. The Nepomuk/Strigi also defaults to not searching hidden directories (probably for performance and organisation reasons). Individual hidden directories can be added for indexing at System Settings > Desktop Search > Desktop Query > Customize Index Folders > Show Hidden Folders.
    I went and changed that setting here, thanks. Then I went and tried a search in KMail, because it hadn't been working, now it seems to be working, as it uses Nepomuk, so searching. Not entirely sure though ??

Tried Dolphin again, same problem.

Thanks,

Oygle
    Last edited by oygle; November 21st, 2012 at 03:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

KFind is great, lots of options.