Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Kernel 3.7 and AMD cpu's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel 3.7 and AMD cpu's

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    what would you do with 8 cores? are you media editing?
    Occasionally...

Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    how wil yu fit 8 cores in your conky script
    btw have you checked your launchpad email?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

just a note , it turns out that something Ubuntu was doing ( or not doing) was what was screwing those of us with AMD 64 systems . I just updated my Sabayon 10 install and that included the 3.7.0 kernel , it booted and runs fine . If a small underfunded distro can get it right what excuse does Ubuntu have .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ronacc View Post
    just a note , it turns out that something Ubuntu was doing ( or not doing) was what was screwing those of us with AMD 64 systems . I just updated my Sabayon 10 install and that included the 3.7.0 kernel , it booted and runs fine . If a small underfunded distro can get it right what excuse does Ubuntu have .
    was that rhetorical?
    this is testing, in testing stuff breaks
    it is bigger and has more stuff to deal with
    we are on kernel 3.8 rc6/rc7 now
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

was that rhetorical?
    Stuff breaks, some stuff gets fixed, some doesn't. We testers have no way of knowing what development intends to work on and fix and what they are not interested in.

One of the areas developers are not at all interested in is WPA encrypted network connecting. On amd64 Raring automatically "disconnects" on boot. And just sits there. Syslog says NM recognizes "secrets" are required, which it has, but refuses to use. Precise connects just fine. So I have to manually connect using the "secrets" that NM already has stored. No action on my lauhchpad bugs.

Ubuntu's primary interest is Unity eye candy directed at smartphones. I would hope for a split, Ubuntu for smartphones much stripped down on function and faster (comparatively Android goes like blazes on my tablets) and full function on the far more capable pc's.

This is linux. We have choices. I do look for Raring bugs (whether development is interested or not) and also run 12.04.x to rescue the Raring, and also a amd64 Mint which is directed at pc's not smartphones so it is easier to set up and run for what I do. Your milage may vary.

Beans
    Distro

was that rhetorical?
    it was more informational . Yes this is testing , I could not test for almost half of the cycle due to the 3.7 kernels not booting on my ( and many others ) system . the problem was ignored there were similar issues with quantal also , being used as a second class participant does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling .

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post

Ubuntu's primary interest is Unity eye candy directed at smartphones. I would hope for a split, Ubuntu for smartphones much stripped down on function and faster (comparatively Android goes like blazes on my tablets) and full function on the far more capable pc's.
    I saw an article ,I couldn't find it again to link it , saying that Ubuntu was hoping for an ubuntu phone this year . While I might buy one , being a collector of lost causes , Ubuntu will be going up against 2 very fierce competitors that own the smart phone field of battle ( android and Ios ) + 2 others that are determined capture a slice their monopoly ( microsoft and blackberry ) + a host of bit players . Mark has chosen a minefield to dance in .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This thread is starting to stray off topic. For more info on the Ubuntu smartphone, have a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2100707

Since we are now on kernel 3.8.0-6, this thread has outlived it's usefulness. Thread closed.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819