Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elementary Luna Quantal...

Beans

Re: Elementary Luna Quantal...

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Here are some more screenshots.

I can now get rid of Plank, Docky or any such thing. I am wondering, whether to integrate Gnome-Pie without even the top panel.

The old Slingshot is very nice and very useful.

I was thinking... you might try Slingshot in ZevenOS. I think it would well with the Deskbar mode configuration. You know you'd like something to see all your applications at a glance and still have a clean desktop. The only drawback with the Deskbar is it doesn't minimize launched windows but if you can figure it out - you'd have a minimal operating system like the old BEOS!

Let me know if that works and getting Slingshot with a Haiku theme makeover shouldn't be too difficult!

Beans

Here is another screenshot of my Luna Quantal
    This time there is no top panel, only Docky. I could use Plank instead of Docky, but Plank is not configurable.

I could use Awn dock too, as it won't pull in any other shells. (I hope) Cairo dock is the prettiest, but it pulls in Gnome-shell. Maybe, I'd uninstall Gnome-shell later.

Note: I have frozen all connections to Elementary OS Launchpad repos.
    Note2: This is not Elementary OS Team's Luna Beta 1, but what I build up from Quantal mini.iso and adding/subtracting some of their applications. The WM is Gala and the engine is Pantheon. And, whether their applications in Launchpad are Beta, I don't know. They work quite well, so I froze them.

Take care!

Ch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    I was thinking... you might try Slingshot in ZevenOS. I think it would well with the Deskbar mode configuration. You know you'd like something to see all your applications at a glance and still have a clean desktop. The only drawback with the Deskbar is it doesn't minimize launched windows but if you can figure it out - you'd have a minimal operating system like the old BEOS!

Let me know if that works and getting Slingshot with a Haiku theme makeover shouldn't be too difficult!
    I upgraded ZevenOS and informed Leszek, remember? You commented in that post.
    Leszek had released a Beta, but he has problems with his new deskbar. I don't have it. In my installation of ZevenOS (5 now) with Quantal, the deskbar works superbly. There too, I froze the ZevenOS 5 repo, after upgrading that. It works with me, so let it be. I don't want someone to break it, when they try to redo their applications.

You can read our discussion there; http://www.zevenos.com/allgemein/zev...1#comment-3372

I sort of pushed him to do something, but I am glad, as ZevenOS would go on living.

You know, ZevenOS is a unique distribution, so I think it should not be tampered, I mean with Slingshot or anything..
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 21st, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Beans

Back to my Luna Quantal. I started this with the Quantal mini.iso. The Pantheon session is taken off, instead an Awn session is installed and parts of Pantheon is still there, but Gala is the WM, not Awn.

I've dropped the "new" Slingshot launcher and went back to the "old" one, which works snappier than the new one, and prettier. Its a pity that no one is maintaining the old Slingshot, so it had to be frozen, that is, the Elementary OS Team's ppas are blocked too. Well, if the old Slingshot is not maintained, let it be as it is--if it doesn't break, don't change it.

Everything works very well, even though the Pantheon session is not there. It is the Quantal base that does the job, together with Gala. The window movements - opening, minimizing, closing, drag, pull - are the same as in eOS Luna, and the snappiness.

Well, I am not very keen about the new applications - Pantheon files, Noise, Scratch etc, and the Wingpanel and Plank are uninstalled. I have Docky too, but Awn is prettier.

Actually, the heading should be changed to Quantal Gala, instead of Elementary Luna Quantal, for I only downloaded Elementary OS Team's ppas, but not their desktop, or Luna.
    And, it doesn't have the Wingpanel, Plank and the new Slingshot.

Here are some screenshots.

Good day!

Ch
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12