Thread: cd/x/x errors, no such file directory

Beans

cd/x/x errors, no such file directory

This weekend I've made it through the 12.04 boot load screen failures, and now am trying to permanently apply the fixes.

When I activate a Terminal cntl alt f2, it goes to
    user@machine ~$

When I attempt to follow guidance to update grub with
    cd/etc/default

I get a reply no such directory before I can sudo gedit grub

cntl c, cntl z, other command breaks don't seem to release me.

I used sudo su to go to root, and same system response

The system is stuck on something ?

Where do I start ?

Beans

Re: cd/x/x errors, no such file directory

You need some space between the command (cd) and the filename argument (/etc/default)

Also you should use gksudo rather than sudo for GUI applications such as gedit

Code:
    cd  /etc/default
    gksudo gedit grub

Beans

steeld, thanks for the guidance.... for those of us who do things infrequently, the obvious is not always apparent, especially when follow sticky notes etc.

OK...I can move around the file structure.

When I attempt to activate gksudo gedit grub, I get an error message
    gktsudo 6394 gtkwarning cannot open display

When I attempt to open sudo gedit grub, I get an error message similar with more details
    gedit 6423 warning command line dbus-launch - autolaunch xxxxxxxxxxxxxx - binary syntax close std err exited with non zero exit status 1 autolaunch error x11 initialization failed /n cannot open display

Being the stubborn problem solver, I tried to edit grub file directly (its just a txt file ???), but it is coded read only and will not let me save.

I am tempted to save with new name, then edit file back to grub. do you see any issues ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

try steeldriver's codes with copy paste, unless your last is a typo "gktsudo" is not valid ...should be gksudo as directed. ("gktsudo" I expect would generate error).

"gksudo" will generate password window ..enter password-> grub file opens for editing and as now having admin privileges can save the changes.
    just try'n to help ==> BDQ

Beans

Bashing , thanks for trying to help
    gksudo gedit grub
    generates a similar error message

cannot open display

something has it lock up or reserved.

Back to my cheating question to at least get the start up load going semi automatically.

Can I edit grub, save with new name, then change name of file to grub ? or will system security block me ?

Beans

if you're having issues with graphical applications and/or gksudo you can use a terminal based editor e.g. nano

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    When you are done press Ctrl-O to save, confirm the file name, then Ctrl-X to exit.

EDIT: DOH! just noticed you are doing this in a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) - so you WILL need to use a terminal based editor for sure. Sorry I didn't spot that earlier.
    Last edited by steeldriver; November 19th, 2012 at 02:12 AM.

Beans

That got me in !...sometimes I have to remember I am learning a new language and there are different dialects in play.

edit of command lines complete

sudu update grub complete

check of command lines verifies edits in place.

now I will go research what I can learn about features and purpose of virtual terminals vs real terminals.

Thanks for being patient and walking me through the finer points of the command line requirements. I only do this about once every couple of years becuase overall the system is really stable and doesn't need a lot of my manual refinements unless I am installing something , in this case, the whole ISO OS.

Next is figure out why my machine is going through a cycle of restart updates.