Thread: java installation

Hybrid View

Beans

java installation

Hi all, I have installed java on my computer as well as netbeans, but I have just noticed that I don't have the documentation, not entirely sure why. The folder - see attachment - doesn't have the documentation folder in it. COuld anybody kindly tell me how and where I get it from please?
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: java installation

Quote Originally Posted by antobbo View Post
    Hi all, I have installed java on my computer as well as netbeans, but I have just noticed that I don't have the documentation, not entirely sure why. The folder - see attachment - doesn't have the documentation folder in it. COuld anybody kindly tell me how and where I get it from please?
    thanks
    Maybe

Code:
    sudo apt-cache search jdk | grep documentation
    Will provide a reference to one of the packages you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Per your screen capture I think you've got it. That src.zip archive is the one NetBeans uses (and it usually is found by default). That zipped api doc is the code-completion feature.

You can also link to the online api docs using in NetBeans Tools -> Java Platforms [TAB] JavaDoc [Button] Add URL
    http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/

or download the actual arhive as a zip (it also will be src.zip) and link in the same Dialog window.

So, that should help you if you were wanting code-completion feature. I keep a bookmark to the Oracle API docs to view in my browser for reference.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

There's yet another possibility. Netbeans has a plugin called Netbeans API Documentation wich includes a complete copy of the NetBeans API documentation for offline browsing and Javadoc index searching. It covers all of the official API modules plus some APIs considered under development.

To install it you just have to go under Tools > Plugins > Available Plugins and select it for install.

Beans

thanks all for the suggestion.
    Unfortunately I haven't mentioned the fact that I don't know anything about java, I have just started to learn it
    @3246251196 would this
    Code:
    sudo apt-cache search jdk | grep documentation
    install all the documentation I need?

@Unterseeboot_234: I read there should be another folder in there in addition to what's there already. I have visited http://download.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/ before, but can't find a download option?!

@slickymaster. I have found the option, but which plug in should I select?
    thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Regarding the API documentation, the download link is this. Don't forget you have to click on the Accept License Agreemen radio button.

Regarding the Netbeans plugin, you have to select the one called Netbeans API Documentation. They are sorted alphabetically, so you just have to scroll down to the letter 'n'.
    If you're having trouble installing the plugin, you can always download it from the NetBeans Plugin Portal, here.