Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wifi regularly disconnects and short battery life

Beans

Wifi regularly disconnects and short battery life

Hello,

I've just started using Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on my Alienware M14x. And I'm having some trouble.
    The wifi keeps disconnecting every 5 to 15min. I've read a lot about this on the Internet, but the only solution I found didn't work for me (it was to deactivate the IPv6).
    And the other problem is that my battery life is really short since I have a dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu. On Ubuntu it lasts 3 hours maximum!!!

So I'm really new to all this stuff, I know I have to give you a lot more details but I just don't know what. So if someone is kind enough to help me, I'll do anything .

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Wifi regularly disconnects and short battery life

Quote Originally Posted by VulpesLagopus View Post
    Hello,

I've just started using Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS on my Alienware M14x. And I'm having some trouble.
    The wifi keeps disconnecting every 5 to 15min. I've read a lot about this on the Internet, but the only solution I found didn't work for me (it was to deactivate the IPv6).
    And the other problem is that my battery life is really short since I have a dual-boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu. On Ubuntu it lasts 3 hours maximum!!!

So I'm really new to all this stuff, I know I have to give you a lot more details but I just don't know what. So if someone is kind enough to help me, I'll do anything .

Thank you in advance.
    I would be real happy with 3 hours of battery life. I usually never get much more than 2.

Beans

Yeah I'm not really happy because before the dual-boot I had like 7 or 8 hours on Windows 7. So it is kind of a big change for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a text file in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back and attach the netinfo.txt file.
    Thanks

Beans

Hi,
    so I pasted your command and I think all went good, but the file was to big so I parsed it into smaller pieces with the split command on the terminal, hope that's ok.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, please do:
    Code:
    echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    sudo modprobe -rfv ath9k
    sudo modprobe -v ath9k
    Thanks

Beans

So for now on I think it works, but it can take a while until it disconnects me from a network so if tomorrow everything works fine I'll consider this problem solved.
    Thank you very much

And I have a question how can I learn to use Ubuntu (I mean like you, you fixed the problem in five minutes)? Do you have any advice or a web site?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, that usually fixes the issue with your wireless driver.

There is no easy and fast way to learn, I study posts from other people on the topic I want to learn, and that is a big part of learning is figuring out what you want to know because there is so much to know that no one can know everything it is best to specialize in one topic..
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This list is a bit heavy for someone new to Linux. I lifted it from a 2009 post by Knifemonk regarding energy efficient Ubuntu machines. I cannot endorse these packages but would definitely explore them if I were on a laptop and having battery life problems.

cpufreqd
    fully configurable daemon for dynamic frequency and voltage scaling

cpufrequtils
    tools to switch between frequency modes, availability depends on your kernel: conservative, ondemand, or performance modes exist.

cpudyn
    It saves battery, lowers temperature, and can put the computer disks in standby mode if a given period has passed without any I/O operation.

powertop
    finds the software component(s) that make your {system} use more power than necessary while it is idle. - (this one is really smart)

upower
    an abstraction of the power controls present in HAL which are now officially obsolete... not yet fully implemented(?).

cpulimit
    limits the cpu usage of a process, good when something is causing an overload or simply to reduce the load.

procmeter3
    my fav system monitor- temp, load, usage, in, out, average, etc. cpu, gpu, hdd, network. if it gives a reading, this little beastie will pick it up and give you the facts.

pm-utils
    suspend / hibernate... this is what you want to know about for these functions.

bum / rcconf
    these let you disable the things that lurk in the background eating power and resources.

When you run into a problem solve it the best you can and ask for help when you need it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VulpesLagopus View Post
    Hello,

Thank you in advance.
    Code:
    lspci -nnk
    battery life is based on hardware

I suspect your have nvidia optimus
    Last edited by idoitprone; November 19th, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast