Thread: Getting printer Canon MG6250 to work with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Getting printer Canon MG6250 to work with Ubuntu?

Hi!

I bought the nice Canon Pixma MG6250, that prints photos nicely - from Windows. I now have installed it (network printer, ethernet cable) in my Ubuntu 12.10 workstation as well, but when I try to print a high resolution picture here, it is sent to the Printer (the Printer dialog shows it being processes, and the printer shows there is something going on) but then it just disappears, nothing gets printed.

The driver is CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9.

Any suggestions on what to do, check, try?

Magnus Larsson

Beans

Re: Getting printer Canon MG6250 to work with Ubuntu?

I suggest you consider installing the printer driver that Canon supplies for the MG6200 series.......in some countries called the printer is termed the 6250, in others..6270......

go here

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/con...100396002.html

and you will be downloading the MG6200 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.60 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

ubuntu uses debian packages so this comes down as cnijfilter-mg6200series-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz

as you click to initiate download, your system should offer to open with archive manager........let it.....open the debian package and you should see an install.sh file .........if you click on this, it should open a terminal and interact with you....and install the printer

(the install.sh script will detect if you have 32bit or 64bit ubuntu)

FOR THE SCANNER

..download http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/con...100396002.html

install the same way

.......run by copy and paste into a terminal

scangearmp

.....after that, create a launcher and google on how to do this

please post back as needed for clarifications.....

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusL View Post
    Hi!

I bought the nice Canon Pixma MG6250, that prints photos nicely - from Windows. I now have installed it (network printer, ethernet cable) in my Ubuntu 12.10 workstation as well, but when I try to print a high resolution picture here, it is sent to the Printer (the Printer dialog shows it being processes, and the printer shows there is something going on) but then it just disappears, nothing gets printed.

The driver is CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.9.

Any suggestions on what to do, check, try?

Magnus Larsson
    There have been a lot of threads recently involving canon printers, you might try a search, using"canon printer" there may already be something that helps you.

Beans
    Distro

Hi!

I tried downloading the Canon drivers, through the links you sent. Un-tarred with no problems, then tried sudo ./install.sh, and the get error "The package management system cannot be identified".

So I manually installed the deb package, then installed the printer using this new driver as PPD. But it does not even print the test page.

So, I tried the Michael Gruz PPA:
    https://launchpad.net/~michael-gruz/...ve/canon-trunk

Installed the cnijfilter-gs6200system (after uninstalling the Canon driver), and installed the printer again. Now I get a test page printed, but photos still dies - no error msgs, just nothing printed.

ANy help on this?

Magnus

Beans

can I suggest we start from the beginning again ..

if you delete ALL existing 6200 drivers ............

and let's use the terminal and if I give you commands to copy and paste:

..assuming you have the file cnijfilter-mg6200series-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz in your Downloads directory: if you do not have a directory already created from this tar.gz file, if you issue the command

cd Downloads
    and then

tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg6200series-3.60-1-deb.tar.gz
    .....that should create a directory called cnijfilter-mg6200series-3.60-1-deb and we next

cd cnijfilter-mg6200series-3.60-1-deb
    then we

cd packages
    then we need to install the COMMON PACKAGE first

sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-common_3.60-1_amd64.deb
    ..........assuming you have 64bit...........

then we install the 6200 PACKAGE

sudo dpkg -i cnijfilter-mg6200series_3.60-1_amd64.deb
    .......and it should all work......................

Beans
    Distro

Hi!

I've been away a few days, therefore not been able to tinker with this.

Yes, that is precisely the way I installed them, when the install.sh did not succeed (I am quite familiar with both apt and dpkg). So I did it again. But I am not sure what you mean with "it all should work". So I have installed the *drivers*, but then I need to install the *printer*, right?

When I try to do that (either in Gnome or KDE printer config), the Canon is *not* discovered, but another network printer is. So I choose manually, lpd printer, set it up at the correct ip-address, as lpd://192.168.1.17/PASSTHRU.

THen I choose drivers, and now there are the one I installed, MG6200 series Ver 3.60 (en). Two identical entries, even. I choose one of them, and go on. But no test page is printed. However, on another computer, a test page is printed with the printer set up as lpd://192.168.1.17/PASSTHRU

So, what do I do now? Did I do something wrong in the installation?

Magnus

Beans

my working assumption on printer installation is that folks connect their printer via a USB cable to a standalone computer .

.........please describe your setup so we can understand it ...

..great that you are familiar with apt and dpkg ...very helpful ...

you have bought a great printer.....very enthusiastically reviewed

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/print...n-pixma-mg6250

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/print...n-pixma-mg6250