Thread: Zotac ZBOX Mini-PC choice - advice requested

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Zotac ZBOX Mini-PC choice - advice requested

Hi,

I am looking for a small "nettop"-style PC to act as both an occasional "spare" desktop PC and as a low-wattage home server, and am particularly interested in the following ZOTAC ZBOX models:

ZOTAC ZBOX ID41 - Product Information

ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 - Product Information

The ZBOX ID41 is a dual-core Atom D525 with ION2, and ZBOX AD02 is a dual-core AMD E-350 APU Fusion System (Zacate). With both of these, you have to add RAM, a Hard Drive and install your own OS. Both models are of interest to me as they include both eSATA and USB 3.0 ports.

On paper, the AD02 has a better specification (RAM up to 8Gb, CPU that supports AMD-V virtualisation [so better VirtualBox performance? Useful to me], also reviews say the performance of Zacate is better than Atom, etc), but as I understand it, the Atom + Ion2 is better supported by Linux (at least currently). Both systems here in the UK are about the same price (£180 to £190) from various suppliers.

My main question is: which of these 2 would be the better choice to run under Linux, in particular Ubuntu? I understand the AMD system is newer so has less support at the moment, but would Ubuntu 11.04 install without major issues? I normally stick to LTS releases, but would be happy to install 11.04, and 11.10 later, before moving on to 12.04 LTS next year.

Also, I believe that nVidia currently has better hardware acceleration under Linux, but is AMD is likely to catch up eventually? Will AMD/ATI graphics eventually support Adobe Flash hardware acceleration in future?

Many thanks for any advice and help.
    Last edited by pingadam; June 25th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

Re: Zotac ZBOX Mini-PC choice - advice requested

Looking for the same some years later as I find this post. Did the ZBOX worked for you?

I am planing on replacing a mini Dell SX280 running ubuntu 12.04 LTS for a ZBOX soon. I use the machine for VPN'ing and file server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Zotac ZBOX Mini-PC choice - advice requested

Please don't reply on old threads. It is much better to create a new one. Feel free to link this one if you want.

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread Closed.