Thread: My files are gone

Beans

My files are gone

My files are gone, but I don't care. In the moment I've moved to Ubuntu I feel a relief

Previously I had 4 partitions, the Windows 7 were installed on disk C. Is there a chance the files are still out there on the disks E, F and G or had I lost them forever?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: My files are gone

That depends on how you did the install (entire disk?). You can list all your partitions with the command:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    In case the NTFS partitions are all gone and you definitely need data that was one there: STOP USING THE DISK and start Ubuntu from a Live CD. From there you can run recovery tools like Photorec. Chances are (some of) the data is still somewhere on the disks but you need recovery software to obtain it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Euroman View Post
    That depends on how you did the install (entire disk?). You can list all your partitions with the command:
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    In case the NTFS partitions are all gone and you definitely need data that was one there: STOP USING THE DISK and start Ubuntu from a Live CD. From there you can run recovery tools like Photorec. Chances are (some of) the data is still somewhere on the disks but you need recovery software to obtain it.

How do I run
    sudo fdisk -l

Never mind, I found it. All is gone

How do I make a Live CD?

Never mind, I don't think I need them anymore. Still, can you tell me, please how do I make a Live CD?
    Last edited by La Mangra; November 19th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You already have it, it's whatever you used to install Ubuntu (can also be Ubuntu USB stick). I have never used any of these tools myself so can't help you any further other than pointing to this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Go here

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

12.10 is the latest release. Every six months there will be a new release.

12.04 is LTS (long term support) and will be supported for five years.

Also choose if you want to run 32 or 64 bit system. Most people choose 64 bit if there machine supports it.

Beans

Thank you