Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu in 2012

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu in 2012

What things that happened this year, related to Ubuntu, that affected you the most, in a positive way?

For me it was the arrival of Steam for Linux and Netflix Desktop. I know, they are not the best or the most important Ubuntu related things, ideologically speaking, but they surely affected me a lot. I can finally get rid of Windows entirely, since occasional gaming and movie watching were the only two things that made me use Windows.

Early Christmas for me today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu in 2012

A LOT has happened this year, much more than the previous years. All of the events obviously symbolize Ubuntu's rapid increase in popularity, so I guess I can't choose.

Beans
    Hidden!

First good application with Wine for me is Netflix.
    It should attract more Ubuntu users and also give Wine and Firefox a boost.
    Before I never found a reason to use Wine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    What things that happened this year, related to Ubuntu, that affected you the most, in a positive way?

For me it was the arrival of Steam for Linux and Netflix Desktop. I know, they are not the best or the most important Ubuntu related things, ideologically speaking, but they surely affected me a lot. I can finally get rid of Windows entirely, since occasional gaming and movie watching were the only two things that made me use Windows.

Early Christmas for me today.
    Totall agree with the Steam for Linux part, I've recently built my first computer and am running Ubuntu on it and thought that gaming was going to become a problem but Steam looks like it is progressing rather rapidly!

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Good question.

For me it was my switch from Nvidia to Intel Graphics. No more temporarily setting kernel boot options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me it's the HUD.
    It's an incredibly additive function, which I never realize I utilize as often as I do until I run a different desktop session other than Unity. Then I repeatedly press the alt key to no avail, and wonder why it isn't working.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The improvements to LibreOffice's .docx support. Not Ubuntu software, but software provided in Ubuntu and for which there isn't a real alternative in Ubuntu, factors that make it a part of the Ubuntu experience. That simplified my life in April.

Insync, the unofficial Google Drive client, just got document conversion working properly, and that could simplify my life in the near future.

Aside from the missing document search, 12.04 is the best Gnome Shell. If I upgrade my primary machine to 12.10, I'll have to learn to love Unity, but that might be a good thing, too. HUD is amazing. And the webapp features have yet to affect me, but they will when they start working in Chrome.

I got two new computers this year and discovered web apps. A very small fraction of the changes in my experience have to do with Ubuntu. But the LibreOffice thing really has been nice. = )

Beans
    Hidden!

I just added the gnome shell extensions

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/inst...ome-shell.html

check for version to install
    scott@scott-P5QC:~$ gnome-shell --version

GNOME Shell 3.4.1

install then
    alt-f2 then type r to restart gnome

run tweak tool to activate in shell extensions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    For me it was the switch from 12.04 with Unity to Debian Wheezy with Gnome 3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Good question.

For me it was my switch from Nvidia to Intel Graphics. No more temporarily setting kernel boot options.
    Oh, I did that as well and I am loving it, specially with the new va-api driver, which enables hardware accelerated video processing:

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/insta...-hardware.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast