Thread: authentication for removable drives in 12.4

Beans

authentication for removable drives in 12.4

Can anybody please help me to authenticate for removable drives. I have tried the following but none of the file listed seem to be in my file system. I'm using Ubuntu 12.4

First of all, backup the file. Open a terminal and run:
    Code:
    cd /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/ sudo cp org.freedesktop.udisks.policy org.freedesktop.udisks.policy-backup cd
    then open the file:
    Code:
    gksu gedit usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy

An entry in the file looks like this:
    Code:
    <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount"> <description>Mount a device</description> <message>Authentication is required to mount the device</message> <defaults> <allow_any>no</allow_any> <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive> <allow_active>yes</allow_active> </defaults> </action>
    The description of each entry is self-explanatory, it's in human readable format.

Now if you want password authentication by an admin user in order to mount an external drive, then change the authentication mode from yse to auth_admin or auth_admin_keep (it's like auth_admin but the authorization is kept for a brief period):
    Code:
    <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount"> <description>Mount a device</description> <message>Authentication is required to mount the device</message> <defaults> <allow_any>no</allow_any> <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive> <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active> </defaults> </action>
    You can change the authentication mode in other entries in a similar way.

Save the file and close the editor & you're done.

The above was for ubuntu 9.10 so maybe things have changed since then.

Thanks for any advise.

Beans

Re: authentication for removable drives in 12.4

Your path is wrong - it's this, you were leaving out the red /
    /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy
    So to edit the proper file
    Code:
    gksu gedit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy
    In 12.04 not all usb drives are treated as such so you may find that some like SanDisk drives won't be affected by your edit. In that case you need to edit a .pkla that allows active admin/sudo user to mount, check internal drives. If needed ask..

Beans

Re: authentication for removable drives in 12.4

Thank you for taking the time to help me memc4man.
    I now have my usb external drive mounted and I can read from it, problem is now I can't write to it, I get the message "you are not the owner" and I can't edit permissions. I'm hoping you can help me again.

Many thanks.