Thread: How to disable that Amazon thing

Beans

How to disable that Amazon thing

Hi, first of all Lubuntu doesn't have that amazon thing correct?

And in Ubuntu 12.10 how do I disable it? And if I disable it, nothing from computer is transmitted anywhere correct?

I think that whole search thing is a bad privacy decision personally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to disable that Amazon thing

It's the package 'unity-lens-shopping ' and it can be removed. It's not included in Lubuntu. Without it, your local searches will not be forwarded off your computer.

I don't think there is much else that sends information. There might be 'popularity-contest' which reports back about which packages are installed and a limited amount of info about their use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    It's the package 'unity-lens-shopping ' and it can be removed. It's not included in Lubuntu. Without it, your local searches will not be forwarded off your computer.

I don't think there is much else that sends information. There might be 'popularity-contest' which reports back about which packages are installed and a limited amount of info about their use.
    So if I remove that package it completely removes that amazon search?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

An even easier way is to turn of the search in System Settings->Privacy. IF you are still worried, you can use Wireshark to check what packets are being sent/not sent to Canonical.