Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    51

    Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Damn, Ubuntu is so customizable , but such a simply option doesn't exist??

    Guys, Is there a way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom of the screen, under Ubuntu 12.04? I search about it a lot. I really thank you.

    (I'm sorry about this writing-style, I'm too much influenced from american movies ^^)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    12,597

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Ubuntu lost its reputation for lots of desktop customization when Unity took over ...

    But to answer your question, see the details in the following link:

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/33605...unity-launcher
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland/UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Ubuntu lost its reputation for lots of desktop customization when Unity took over ...
    ...in most cases due to people not understanding which changes were actually caused bu Unity, and which by Gnome's decisions in the Gnome2 to Gnome3 transition (and of course the simple fact that the changes in GTK and desktop components mean that many customization tools need to be rewritten).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    But to answer your question, see the details in the following link:

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/33605...unity-launcher
    Keep in mind that those instructions, and the PPA repository mentioned in them, are only for Ubuntu 11.10.
    Last edited by mcduck; November 18th, 2012 at 03:34 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Beans
    51

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    ...in most cases due to people not understanding which changes were actually caused bu Unity, and which by Gnome's decisions in the Gnome2 to Gnome3 transition (and of course the simple fact that the changes in GTK and desktop components mean that many customization tools need to be rewritten).

    Keep in mind that those instructions, and the PPA repository mentioned in them, are only for Ubuntu 11.10.
    As you said so is there workaround for 12.04??

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    el_GR
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by CProgramming View Post
    As you said so is there workaround for 12.04??
    Hi ,
    there is not a workaround for 12.04 . A similar conversation took place few months ago here in forum. Take a look => http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1976480

    Thanks
    # How to mark the Thread as [SOLVED] when done.
    # Ubuntu Greek Community
    # Gain 20GB of space on copy.com when sign up with my referral link.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,851
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    The OP could use something like Docky instead.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    India
    Beans
    4,827
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    The OP could use something like Docky instead.
    Yes thats the better way rather than playing with unity .
    Raja

    రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    13,216

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    haven't tried docky in quite some time as unity launcher on the side is ok here.
    Have from time to time tried out plank, both in unity & gnome-shell (more so in GS because of below
    The latest works pretty good, supports quicklists & window lists
    https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/docky

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    16,851
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    haven't tried docky in quite some time as unity launcher on the side is ok here.
    Have from time to time tried out plank, both in unity & gnome-shell (more so in GS because of below
    The latest works pretty good, supports quicklists & window lists
    https://launchpad.net/~ricotz/+archive/docky
    That's the one Plank. Lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    13,216

    Re: Is there way to move the Unity launcher to the bottom?

    Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    That's the one Plank. Lol
    Decided to have a bit of a fool around in 13.04 with plank in unity
    Actually starting to like better than the unity launcher, reasons repeated -
    Dodge
    Window lists
    Supports quicklists
    Supports DnD (though doesn't grey like unity launcher
    Min on left click
    Scroll on icon with multiple windows open to focus..

    Some config isn't well exposed though looking thru ~/.config/plank/* is informative

    Added a first try at a Dash/Dash lens icon, may be other ways but xdotool works pretty good - screen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; November 24th, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: screen of ex. bfg.desktop, more reasons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •