Thread: Unable to login to account

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Unable to login to account

I was exploring the terminal commands and I executed this command in the terminal
    sudo startx
    after that the desktop without unity started so I shutdown my computer from there.

but after reboot I am just unable to login to my account after whenever I insert my password the system just goes blank for few secs shows login screen again.
    howeve I am able to login into another accounts (guests) and created the new account as a temp. option.
    but please tell me how can I recover my old account...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to login to account

I can't help but I wonder why you use sudo in combination with startx? I mean, that way you run your graphical environment as root.

Another question would be if this is a server install? Because usually startx should not be required; ubuntu should take you straight to a graphical environment.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Running startx as sudo usually leaves a root-owned .Xauthority file in the user's home dir - which prevents your regular X session from starting up

If you can log in to one of the non-graphical virtual terminals (Ctrl-Alt-F1 and so on) you can probably fix that by removing the offending file

Code:
    $ ls -l ~/.Xauthority
    $ rm ~/.Xauthority
    If that doesn't work you can do the same from the recovery console

Code:
    # rm /home/yourusername/.Xauthority
    Sometimes there is a ~/.ICEauthority file that causes similar problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    Running startx as sudo usually leaves a root-owned .Xauthority file in the user's home dir - which prevents your regular X session from starting up

If you can log in to one of the non-graphical virtual terminals (Ctrl-Alt-F1 and so on) you can probably fix that by removing the offending file

Code:
    $ ls -l ~/.Xauthority
    $ rm ~/.Xauthority
    If that doesn't work you can do the same from the recovery console

Code:
    # rm /home/yourusername/.Xauthority
    Sometimes there is a ~/.ICEauthority file that causes similar problems
    worked !!
    Thank you so much !!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    I can't help but I wonder why you use sudo in combination with startx? I mean, that way you run your graphical environment as root.

Another question would be if this is a server install? Because usually startx should not be required; ubuntu should take you straight to a graphical environment.
    As I mentioned I was just exploring