Thread: Is there any Linux Software Equivalent to Microsoft Mathematics ??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Is there any Linux Software Equivalent to Microsoft Mathematics ??

Is there any Linux software (free and open source) known equivalent to Microsoft Mathematics?? I use Microsoft Mathematics extensively. I don't want to use it through wine.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RLDr; November 18th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Beans

Re: Is there any Linux Software Equivalent to Microsoft Mathematics ??

I looked on osalt.com, a nice resource to find open source alternatives to proprietary software.

They recommend sagemath.org.

Hope that's helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I have been wondering this also, since Microsoft Math is a very useful and powerful software. Sage looks promising, I'll give it a try.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchmaster View Post
    I looked on osalt.com, a nice resource to find open source alternatives to proprietary software.
    They recommend sagemath.org.
    Hope that's helpful.
    Thanks 'Dutchmaster' for your links. I will test 'sagemath.org'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There are many, GNU Octave, Sage, Scilab and more. Linux is used extensively in academic circles and universities worldwide so many programs exist suited to that environment. There is also an excellent front end Cantor.

Beans

What exactly are you wanting to do? Do you want to plot points and do function that deal with quadratics and such and that does geometry or are you looking for something that has a CAS(Computerized Algebra System) KPlot is good for graphing. Also, if you want a CAS, which solves algebra problems for you, I would suggest using http://www.wolframalpha.com/. Just put the function or equation into the text area and it will solve it and plot it for you. Great site.

Type in the text area: x^2+6x+8 and then hit enter. It will solve for your roots and plot the graph for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another option is SMath Studio which only requires mono runtime to run.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I know it was not meant as an accurate description, but saying Sage is promising (in comparison w/ MS Math) is the understatement of the year. Sage is a VERY powerful tool, actually it might be too much for what you want to do. It has a large active community. Just go to sagemath.org and add the Ubuntu PPA, this will make sure you get the latest version via Update Manager. Another powerful option is Octave or Scilab of course.

For maybe something more or less like MS Math, I suggest KAlgebra, here:
    http://www.kde.org/applications/education/kalgebra/

And if you haven't tried it before, you should try the online Wolfram Alpha, it's a fun online app. Nice thing is you don't have to program anything just ask it a question like: Solve x^3-7x^2 + 9x+10 =0 for x, it gave me this.
    Last edited by PC_load_letter; November 30th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
    This should be a sticky, or a bug 'cos it ain't a feature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thumbs up Re: Is there any Linux Software Equivalent to Microsoft Mathematics ??

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxisfast View Post
    There are many, GNU Octave, Sage, Scilab and more. Linux is used extensively in academic circles and universities worldwide so many programs exist suited to that environment. There is also an excellent front end Cantor.
    Yes, you are absolutely true.

Quote Originally Posted by DoodleTech View Post
    Also, if you want a CAS, which solves algebra problems for you, I would suggest using http://www.wolframalpha.com/. Just put the function or equation into the text area and it will solve it and plot it for you. Great site. Type in the text area: x^2+6x+8 and then hit enter. It will solve for your roots and plot the graph for you.
    Yes, yes, I want this feature specially. Of-course your mentioned site is great, but requires net-connection, not offline solution.

Quote Originally Posted by mungatsuma View Post
    Another option is SMath Studio which only requires mono runtime to run.
    Another free software. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PC_load_letter View Post
    I know it was not meant as an accurate description, but saying Sage is promising (in comparison w/ MS Math) is the understatement of the year. Sage is a VERY powerful tool, actually it might be too much for what you want to do. It has a large active community. Just go to sagemath.org and add the Ubuntu PPA, this will make sure you get the latest version via Update Manager. Another powerful option is Octave or Scilab of course.
    For maybe something more or less like MS Math, I suggest KAlgebra, here:http://www.kde.org/applications/education/kalgebra/ And if you haven't tried it before, you should try the online Wolfram Alpha, it's a fun online app. Nice thing is you don't have to program anything just ask it a question like: Solve x^3-7x^2 + 9x+10 =0 for x, it gave me this.
    Thank you for your information. Everything from kde are great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You can buy Mathematica for either Windows or Linux.....
    http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/trial/