Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have been trying for hours, any help for aircrack? I've tried EVERYTHING

Beans

Have been trying for hours, any help for aircrack? I've tried EVERYTHING

Ok, so like the title says, I've been having a LOT of issues trying install aircrack-ng. I'm also having issues installing...well, anything. But that's a separate thread anyways.

Ok, so first off, I am new to the whole ubuntu scene. Or, to be more accurate, the linux scene. I've read numerous other threads, and tried following the directions of others who are ill fated with the same problem. What I have tried:

"sudo apt-get install build-essential
    sudo apt-get install libssl-dev

wget http://download.aircrack-ng.org/aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz
    cd aircrack-ng-1.1

In the aircrack-ng-1.1 directory there is a file called common.mak, use your favorite editor to open the file and scroll down till you see the following line:

CFLAGS ?= -g -W -Wall -Werror -O3

Delete the -Werror variable, so that the line now looks like the following. Save and exit.

CFLAGS ?= -g -W -Wall -O3

Run make and make install to get aircrack-ng up and running.

try :
    sudo make

and then :
    sudo make install"

But every time I do so, I get an error:

"[*] Run 'airodump-ng-oui-update' as root (or with sudo) to install or update Airodump-ng OUI file (Internet connection required)."

How do I get past this? I'm sure it's probably something I've overlooked, or something, but any help would be MUCH appreciated at this point.

Note: Just using it to further my own knowledge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Have been trying for hours, any help for aircrack? I've tried EVERYTHING

Is there a good reason for you to compile aircrack?

If not:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng
    Last edited by MG&TL; November 18th, 2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Wrong packagename

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think it's called aircrack-ng
    Code:
    You can also install it via Software center.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

I thought that'd work originally, but when I do try that, I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package aircrack

Which its preposterous, as I must have downloaded it at least 50 times by now...

Beans

Also, I have tried aircrack, aircrack-ng, aircrack-ng-1.1.tar.gz, and they all end up doing the same thing on the end command. At this point, I am vexed. I keep trying to do SOMETHING about the issue with the airdump-ng, but so far, nothing has worked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Abyssal Whim View Post
    I thought that'd work originally, but when I do try that, I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    E: Unable to locate package aircrack

Which its preposterous, as I must have downloaded it at least 50 times by now...
    My bad, I got the wrong package name.

What happens when you try:

Code:
    ?

Btw, you might want to read up on package management: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement - whether you've downloaded something or not makes no difference whatsoever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    My bad, I got the wrong package name.

What happens when you try:

Code:
    ?

Btw, you might want to read up on package management: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoftwareManagement - whether you've downloaded something or not makes no difference whatsoever.
    Sadly, the exact same thing. I figure I must have done SOMETHING wrong in my attempts at organizing the new system and messed up something I shouldn't have.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm guessing you've managed to break APT somehow. Okay, try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Post the output and see if this fixes anything.

Beans

"Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    aircrack-ng is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

I'm not QUITE sure if this means success, but I'm putting my money more on "no." Also, thank you for the patience. And to think I used to be so tech savvy. Now it seems I'm a noob again. ^_^

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would try with Ubuntu software center. Type aircrack into search bar and let us know what you get.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast