Thread: Complete firefox uninstall - unable to revert firefox tweaks, need to fresh install

Beans

Complete firefox uninstall - unable to revert firefox tweaks, need to fresh install

Distro:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

Problem:
    The out of the box version of firefox provided from the distro above did exactly what I needed and worked well. After some tweaking in regards to addons, problems have started to occur when visiting some websites that previously had no problems.

Need help:
    Completely removing every file that has to do with firefox on this machine, so I can do a fresh install.

I have tried to accomplish this in ways that I will list below, however each time I have done them, when I re-install firefox the problems still remain. This is because I'm not doing a proper complete removal I'm guessing, evidence supporting this also exists because on first startup of the newly installed firefox it will display "checking the compatibility of your currently installed icons" with a list of all the addons I supposedly would have deleted

Tried:
    sudo apt-get remove firefox
    &
    sudo apt-get --purge remove firefox
    &
    launching synaptic package manager and marking all firefox files for complete removal, then removing them.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Justin C; November 18th, 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Beans

Re: Complete firefox uninstall - unable to revert firefox tweaks, need to fresh insta

Pop open a terminal and move your old firefox directory out of the way. Doing a purge will remove all firefox system files, but it won't touch any of your local settings so after reinstall it's still seeing your locally installed extensions and tweaks.

Code:
    $ mv .mozilla  .mozilla.bak

Beans

Re: Complete firefox uninstall - unable to revert firefox tweaks, need to fresh insta

Quote Originally Posted by VooDooSyxx View Post
    Pop open a terminal and move your old firefox directory out of the way. Doing a purge will remove all firefox system files, but it won't touch any of your local settings so after reinstall it's still seeing your locally installed extensions and tweaks.

Code:
    $ mv .mozilla  .mozilla.bak
    Yeah buddy!

Knew it was this simple just didn't know where to look.

Thank-you.