Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    1

    Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    Yesterday I installed the lubuntu-desktop package on my main Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install. I installed it because my PC is old and LXDE runs really well. I like LXDE, and enjoy using it, but now I have a problem with it.

    When I rebooted my PC after installing updates the other day, the Ubuntu boot screen with the dots changed completely. It now has the Lubuntu logo, the Lubuntu blue-ish background and the blue loading dots. I do not want this change as I prefer to have the original Lubuntu branding.

    If someone can aid me this, please let me know. This always makes me feel bad about installing other DEs because it can change stuff that wasn't expected, like this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    England / U.S.
    Beans
    277
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    Sorry, can you explain a couple of things:
    You say
    Quote Originally Posted by MHazell View Post
    I prefer to have the original Lubuntu branding
    But that is what you have:
    Quote Originally Posted by MHazell View Post
    It now has the Lubuntu logo, the Lubuntu blue-ish background and the blue loading dots.
    You then say:
    Quote Originally Posted by MHazell View Post
    This always makes me feel bad about installing other DEs because it can change stuff that wasn't expected, like this.
    You installed the Lubuntu desktop and it changed things to show the Lubuntu desktop. How is this a surprise ("Wasn't expected")?

    Did you mean you wanted to keep the original Ubuntu theme when loading? Or are you referring to pure LXDE compared to Lubuntu?
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Beans
    1,543
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    To change the Plymouth theme (the boot screen, that is) back to the Ubuntu theme, run this command:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
    Then choose the ubuntu-logo one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Beans
    1,062
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    You installed Lubuntu and now you feel bad because its Lubuntu? Im confused....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere...
    Beans
    1,543
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    You installed Lubuntu and now you feel bad because its Lubuntu? Im confused....
    I think what he meant was that he wanted to install other DEs, but he did not want them to tamper with certain parts of the system (such as the boot screen)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    11,018

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    Quote Originally Posted by MHazell View Post
    This always makes me feel bad about installing other DEs because it can change stuff that wasn't expected, like this.
    Just be more careful when installing -desktop metapackages..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    241
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Just be more careful when installing -desktop metapackages..
    How much more careful can you be about selecting a metapackage and installing it via Synaptic, Software Manager, or Terminal?

    Maybe a better way to put it is, "know what you're installing before you install it." The Lubuntu-desktop metapackage does much more than just install the LXDE desktop environment. It installs Lubuntu's default settings, menus, and applications as well! The same goes for all the 'buntu-desktop metapackages.

    To install just the desktop environment without all the 'buntu defaults and applications, choose only the DE, not the metapackage.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Finland/UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    ..on the other hand it also makes perfect sense to get the themes, default desktop configurations, applications and all the other parts that come with the *-desktop metapackages. In which case simply using update-alternatives to switch between themes and configurations is the right way to go, as suggested by zombifier25. That's what the command is for.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Calif
    Beans
    1,208
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Main Ubuntu branding changed by installing lubuntu-desktop packages

    Quote Originally Posted by MHazell View Post
    Yesterday I installed the lubuntu-desktop package on my main Ubuntu 12.04 LTS install. I installed it because my PC is old and LXDE runs really well. I like LXDE, and enjoy using it, but now I have a problem with it.

    When I rebooted my PC after installing updates the other day, the Ubuntu boot screen with the dots changed completely. It now has the Lubuntu logo, the Lubuntu blue-ish background and the blue loading dots. I do not want this change as I prefer to have the original Lubuntu branding.

    If someone can aid me this, please let me know. This always makes me feel bad about installing other DEs because it can change stuff that wasn't expected, like this.
    It's booting into the lubuntu session because that was what you were using last, before shutting down. If you use lubuntu, login to ubuntu before shutting down, the next login should be on ubuntu's login. Then choose lubuntu session at login.

    At least give it a try.

    edited to add: Post # 7 says:
    by Peripheral Visionary To install just the desktop environment without all the 'buntu defaults and applications, choose only the DE, not the metapackage.
    I thought you'd added only the DE since you didn't expect the login screen to change. So my suggestion isn't going to change anything. Sorry.
    Last edited by critin; November 20th, 2012 at 03:07 AM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •