Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mac Fans Migrating to Ubuntu!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Mac Fans Migrating to Ubuntu!!

Quote Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
    I consider myself in the former. I dual boot OS X Tiger and Ubuntu Dapper. Tiger is still on my machine because I am still locked in. iTunes. Airport Express (mine, the girlfriend's, and my folks). iLife (old files that cannot be easily converted). And the list goes on. Sure, I may be well into getting both feet into the F/OSS world, but I'm still not fully there. Not to mention I can quickly boot over to Tiger when I absolutely need to.

Why do I have Dapper on my machine? (1) My PowerBook is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of support now (1 GHz G4 is now the bare minimum for Apple's latest iLife fluff). (2) Leopard is probably going to require higher end G4s and the G5 for whiz-bang stuff and I'll be stuck with Tiger. (3) On the same hardware Ubuntu is faster and I'll know that I won't need new hardware for several more years while I keep getting the latest and greatest version of Ubuntu.

With Ubuntu, I no longer have a good reason to buy new hardware. I just saved myself $1000-2000 and much more for having to rebuy x86 ports of the same sh*t just so they can run natively on the Apple toasters.
    alphasubzero949:
    there's a program for powerpc with any *nix distro thta emulates to be a mac for the mac programs so they could be installed. i don't remember the name of this program but it's logo is a tux embracing an apple. this might be a solution to your complete migration.

nrayever

ps: if any one know the name of that program please let alphasubzero949 know and to me too please, just to remember.

hi guys now i got the logo the program i mentioned in the post

Last edited by nrayever; July 6th, 2006 at 05:40 PM.
    Linux Counter #382246 -

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you thinking of PearPC? MacOnLinux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I agree with others here that thinks Apple shouldn't have anything to worry about. I too have read similar things from other sources mentioned in the thread starter post. You could argue Apple has DRM issues, they are closed, obsessed with protecting their secrets, there are mac fans out there suffering from RDF etc, but there is no questioning Apple is good at what they do. Talking about OS, Mac OS X have leaped light years in a relative short time frame. But Linux have matured also. I think what is happening now is that techies/programmers/trendies that at one point got captured by the technical direction and user friendliness of Mac OS X now is taking a second look on Linux. Why this is so, my guess it's related to the openness of the software and the community, and for reasons you all have opinions about. While Apple is great and all, I can understand the dictatorial top-down hierarchy isn't for everyones cup of tea.

Personally I become a Mac user just to be one of the early OS X adopters, I've never looked back or regretted the move. But in time the next OS transition is likely be OS X -> Linux for me. Mac is great for content providers, but Linux is more relevant if you want to do internet and networking for living.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just made the switch myself, still setting up my new Ubuntu PC and am infected with perma-grin.

Some reason for the switch:
    - was using mostly open source anyway, and running those apps in OS X.
    - OS X is not as friendly as Ubuntu for setting up a web development server: I installed apache, php, mysql, postgresql, mod_python and all the necessary dependencies in record time. I think the whole process took about 5 minutes. Absolutely unheard of in any other environment I've worked with.
    - I'm a big fan of the OSS movement, and although Apple appears to be embracing it with Darwin, Ubuntu goes all the way.
    - OS X upgrades are $135 each. And they happen about every 1.5 years or so. I think we all know the cost of an Ubuntu upgrade.
    - I got to BUILD MY OWN PC!!!! I wanted the gratification of getting my hands dirty putting something together from scratch.
    - My PC was $1100. It has a dual core chip, 2GB of RAM, RAIDed 250GB SATA drives and a GeForce 7600GT GPU. An identically equipped machine from the iStore was $2700. And it didn't have the 2 250GB drives.

This just goes to show that the time was right for me to get the Ubuntu PC. However, that won't be the case for most of the mac users out there. As others have said, I don't think Apple will be hurt much.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

nrayever,

I do have MOL installed on my machine. The problem is that MOL often does not see my third (data) partition while I'm booted into Ubuntu and all of my media files reside there. Also, MOL tends to chew up a lot of CPU cycles. I also didn't find out until recently how to completely disable ipmasq at startup so that I could get online in Ubuntu (had to go into sys-rc-conf). It's a decent "temporary" solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Haha, I am one off those mac fans that migrated to Ubuntu. I grew up using macs since I was 8. I am now 15 and decided that I wanted to sue an operating system that was a bit more code oriented. Common Terminal Usage, Programming, e.t.c.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I posted about this thread right here :
    http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/200...ng-to-ubuntu3/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123