Thread: laptop overheating

Beans
    Hidden!

laptop overheating

My acer laptop has ran hot since day one, but my question is, where do i find the app.
    that will give me the info. on temp. etc while it is running ?
    ubuntu 12.04/ unity

Beans

Re: laptop overheating

What model Acer? How old? If the laptop is more than a year or two old, the CPU fan/heat sink can clog up with dust and dirt, and cleaning that out can allow it to cool properly.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    What model Acer? How old? If the laptop is more than a year or two old, the CPU fan/heat sink can clog up with dust and dirt, and cleaning that out can allow it to cool properly.
    It is an acer model 5735Z, approx 5 years old, cleaning doesn't seem to change much.
    It is more like the fan barely turns if it turns at all.
    Thanks for the reply.

Beans

Why do you think it's overheating? Does the bottom simply get really hot? That Intel CPU should not run very hot. I've had a few laptops with a very similar CPU, even an eMachines (made by Acer) of about that same vintage.

Did it run hot in Windows too? (Or did you ever run Windows on it?)

Check in the BIOS Setup: there may be options related to fan control.

If you still have Windows on it (dual boot?), consider updating the BIOS to latest available from Acer, if that's possible.

I don't know of reliable Linux tools for checking sensor temps across various chipsets - unfortunately I usually do it in Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ahallubuntu View Post
    Why do you think it's overheating? Does the bottom simply get really hot? That Intel CPU should not run very hot. I've had a few laptops with a very similar CPU, even an eMachines (made by Acer) of about that same vintage.

Did it run hot in Windows too? (Or did you ever run Windows on it?)

Check in the BIOS Setup: there may be options related to fan control.

If you still have Windows on it (dual boot?), consider updating the BIOS to latest available from Acer, if that's possible.

I don't know of reliable Linux tools for checking sensor temps across various chipsets - unfortunately I usually do it in Windows.
    Yes the bottom gets very hot, particularly in the area of the HDD.
    It did run hot with windows {no longer has windows}
    I will check BIOS, never thought of that, Thanks.