Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need a Project to rival Creative Suite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: We need a Project to rival Creative Suite

Personally, I'd like to see Corel port some of their products over to Linux. They do offer AfterShot Pro, though that's just a slightly modified Bibble.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think Gimp is closer to photoshop than Calc is to Excel.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    so they say. whether it will actually be an opensource project anytime soon is an open question.
    http://jeff.ecchi.ca/blog/2012/11/10...o-open-source/
    That's why I said port, which doesn't necessarily make it open source.
    Give a man a ghoti, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to ghoti, and he'll eat for life.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy Tux View Post
    That's why I said port, which doesn't necessarily make it open source.
    The whole point of this is so it can be open source. A libre graphics collection: unifying the tools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    Kompozer is abandoned. There's BlueGriffon which is similar to Kompozer, and it's maintained.
    Last time I checked, BlueGriffon wasn't in the Software Center either.

Beans

I'm not a CS user, but it seems to me this is a rather arbitrary and disparate collection of tools, and I'm hard pressed to think of many job descriptions that would require more than 2 or 3 of these. Someone with heavy CS experience can correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it just looks like Adobe's way of bundling all their flagship products under one SKU.

What's the tangible advantage in creating a "suite" vs. just letting projects improve individually and letting users select "best of breed"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    What's the tangible advantage in creating a "suite" vs. just letting projects improve individually and letting users select "best of breed"?
    With commercial products the biggest motivation is for the publisher, able to get a few hundred extra bucks by selling the whole collection to someone who probably only needs two or maybe three of the packages, but can justify the suite thinking they may need the others some day.

With OSS alternatives we have most of what we need now, with the exception of a WYSIWYG HTML editor, since AFAIK there is none in the Ubuntu Software Center for 12.10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlliedFleet View Post
    The whole point of this is so it can be open source. A libre graphics collection: unifying the tools
    Ah ok. So for video editing, Lightworks may be out of the question for now. So there's OpenShot, Kdenlive, Cinelerra, or even Blender.
    Give a man a ghoti, and he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to ghoti, and he'll eat for life.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The advantage to a suite is in once you learn to use one, its easy to learn the others. Same style interface, goals, design, etc. Also they are well integrated. Suites definitely have an advantage over individual apps.

At work, when I say we need a certain piece of software, the first question is, "Is there an office product for it?" and there often is. Visio, Project, Mappoint, etc. Integration is key for applications.

I used outlook w/ business contact manager at work. It lets me create projects from templates and assign out work tasks and jobs to difference employees, set meetings, customizable fields, and integrates seamlessly with outlook. MS Project is way better, but contact manager is the free mini version.

Without integration into outlook the program would be useless. There are much better programs out there, but the integration is so much more important than the features.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlliedFleet View Post
    I'm probably not the only one who has suggested this, but the open-source community really needs to start a project gathering all the creative tools together and improving them to professional standards. They need new names and stuff like CMYK support.
    Nobody is stopping you from starting the project. The code is at your disposal. Open source doesn't really conform to the producer/consumer mentality. It's put up or hack up in these parts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast