Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10- is it really this bad?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 12.10- is it really this bad?

Quote Originally Posted by szymon_g View Post
    i have gf 560 ti, big problems under 64 bit ubuntu 12.10.
    to add an insult to the injury, myunity doesn't work on new unity.
    so no, ubuntu 12.10 doesn't stay long on my computer.
    If you actually wanted to use 12.10, there are 4 different nvidia drivers available, have you tried them all?

Myunity is no longer available, because the developer hasn't updated it to work with dconf, and hopefully when and if there is an updated version, it doesn't need gambas to be installed too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm on Kubuntu rather than Ubuntu but it's been okay here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    Same. Only downside of some ppa's that i had used in Precise aren't working for Quantal yet-- but thats the same on any Ubuntu, i'll have to wait for those repos to be made available.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    Yep, driver version 304.51 and I don't notice any difference in performance compared to 12.04.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Ubuntu 12.10- is it really this bad?

Added xorg-edgers ppa and using nvidia 310.19 driver, very fast and stable so far...

Beans

I can confirm the title in terms of nvidia drivers. That is a big regression compared to 12.04, where the driver was easy and fast to install. I have the knowledge and ability to install the drivers manually, but still the behaviour sucks. Even an advanced user does not want to spend so much time on installing drivers.
    What I experienced was the following: I went to software sources and installed the driver. At the next boot compiz did not even start, so I did not even get noveau (which is logical), only a low graphics mode. The reason was, that it missed depencies I had to add manually (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068341)! That should definitely not be the case! I hope 13.04 will correct this.
    As I am on 12.04 again, I did not fix everything, for example the spalsh screen was at low resolution, despite I got the drivers installed.
    Last edited by Esokra; November 18th, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Esokra View Post
    I can confirm the title in terms of nvidia drivers. That is a big regression compared to 12.04, where the driver was easy and fast to install. I have the knowledge and ability to install the drivers manually, but still the behaviour sucks. Even an advanced user does not want to spend so much time on installing drivers.
    What I experienced was the following: I went to software sources and installed the driver. At the next boot compiz did not even start, so I did not even get noveau (which is logical), only a low graphics mode. The reason was, that it missed depencies I had to add manually (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1068341)! That should definitely not be the case! I hope 13.04 will correct this.
    As I am on 12.04 again, I did not fix everything, for example the spalsh screen was at low resolution, despite I got the drivers installed.
    The splash screen is beyond my understanding When on 12.04 it magically fixed itself to display in high resolution but with 12.10 it's ugly as before. Well the splash screen isn't very important to me anyway but it doesn't look 'professional'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Follow the steps in this guide (I did). It sorts out the big ugly low resolution screen

http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-140810.shtml

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I couldn't even get the 12.10 install USB to give me anything but hash on the display, so I pretty much dropped any idea of upgrading right there. I'll wait until the next time.

I'll tell you one thing for free, though. I will never, ever, in this lifetime or any other subsequent lifetimes, either freely or on point of death, buy any computer that has, contains, uses or was stored next to anything resembling an nVidia card.

Beans

I can tell you in one word why this will be fixed:

Steam

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast