Thread: 12.10 and Win7 on two disks problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

12.10 and Win7 on two disks problems

My Acer desktop was running Win7 on one disk and 12.04 on a second disk with additional ntfs partition.
    I disconnected the Windows disk to install 12.10 ( I have learned the hard way with 12.04 that Ubuntu often wipes other OS unannounced)
    Ubuntu offered to replace the existing 12.04 so I clicked Ok and it then erased the whole disk including ntfs and installed clean - not my definition of "replace". I notice I now have a UEFI partition.
    Reconnected the Windows disk and did some Ubuntu updating - so far so good.
    Next day I can only boot Windows and if I disconnect the Windows disk I get prompted for boot media. I can get back into 12.10 by booting from USB and chroot, but there does not seem to be a stable way to get something into the MBR

Beans

Re: 12.10 and Win7 on two disks problems

I know I personally just make a / partition and a /swap partition on my hard drive so it's easy to install any distribution I
    want by just choosing the advanced setup and wipe the / partition and just have it install there.
    By anyway, the day you were able to use Ubuntu and Windows - did it display the GRUB boot-loader or the Windows one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 12.10 and Win7 on two disks problems

The GRUB bootloader.
    This PC can change disk priority by itself if disks are disconnected, not a problem with GRUB using blockid instead of /dev/sdx

I suspect GPT and EFI is the problem