Hello.

Ive been trying a few distros during last 4-5 years, on different computers.
(all have worked just well out of the box, for most of my needs, exept high end games)

Now i have a idea of setting up linux all around the house, including a server for my media.
And here i really are going to need alot of help......

Lets start with what i have.

The server is an older Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz but it should do just fine for server use.
ive got a IDE 250gig system disk, a 500Gb media HD (ntfs atm.. so im not certain how to move data from NTFS disk) to the last HD on server, who is a 1TB disc, that is unused atm. Guessing i can install ubuntu, get ntfs file support, format 1tb disc, move data to that one and reformat 500 gig HD.

The two other computers in the network (one in bedroom and one in livingroom)
Are both Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3, Socket-AM3
The livingroom computer is a FX4100 prosessor, 8gb of 1600mhz ram, and Nvidia GF560TI
(this is the one i am using for music and movies) so im hoping my hw is working decent with any distro. (thinking of XBMC)

I also have a few laptops and a good old Galaxy P1000 Tab, and both my gf and i have Galaxy SII phones......

Now.. thats what i have... what i want is to be able to have a easy way to set up my server, and get a decent media setup for my livingroom.
Pref i want to be able to controll my media from my adroid based phones/tab.
(this worked pretty decent in windows.)

At least i will be dual booting my bedroom computer to be able to play BF3 once in a while...... (reading something about steam+linux..som there might be hope one day)

Now here is the hard part.....
Ive used Microsoft since the days you did write your own autoexec.bat files, and have no clue about linux. yes ive tried a few distros, but they all worked just out of the box.
(have to google to figure how to open console...) so im not familiar with none MS.....
Trouble on moust guides for linux, is that they say... open "somethig" or start "something", but i have no clue what or how to start... so i really need basic step by step guides for kids.....

Therefore i need some help for what distro to use on the server, and what to use on my media senter. it might work great with same distro on both... but i dont know...

it would be great if i could reach my media on server from android phones/tab, and if i did boot one computer in windows7.

so what do ppl suggest i install on server and mediapc? what should i do with my media on the NTFS disk? (dont want to loose my history with pictures....
All help is needed and appritiated.
sorry abotu syntax error and alot of questions... more will follow.