Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So is Skype going to die now that HTML5's WebRTC protocol is working between Firefox

Beans
    Hidden!

So is Skype going to die now that HTML5's WebRTC protocol is working between Firefox

and Chrome?

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4...peaking-terms/

MS is not happy about this at all!

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: So is Skype going to die now that HTML5's WebRTC protocol is working between Fire

I am very happy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: So is Skype going to die now that HTML5's WebRTC protocol is working between Fire

Unlikely, people are used to Skype and it works well. It was hard enough getting the majority of my relatives to install and start using Skype. I don't fancy my chances of convincing them to use something else for no practical benefit. Half of them probably still use IE anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!

MS paid 8.5 billions for Skype, they wont give up without a fight.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/20...is-mostly-free

Wait and see, ease of use on different platforms with HTML5 may convince people WebRTC is better.
    Skype has commercial aspirations calling land lines. Which I do for free with Google voice. I use Skype maybe once in 5 years.

Skype itself has been looking into the ad model.
    How do you feel about having to watch an ad before making a call?
    Last edited by sdowney717; February 10th, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I really hope not, Skype is my, and my families VoIP/messenger of choice, we do not particularly like how google's app handles it.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Hidden!

I've never used Skype my whole life. Always used messenger for video calls because all my friends used it. But then I dont do pc to phone calls. So, for me skype was dead from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I am very happy.
    You hate microsoft that much?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by black3agl3 View Post
    I've never used Skype my whole life. Always used messenger for video calls because all my friends used it. But then I dont do pc to phone calls. So, for me skype was dead from the start.

Yes. Not because it makes proprietary software(there are others which I am ok with), but it is an ******* of a company. In general I don't feel good that a proprietary vendor controlling a vital piece of technology. It is much worse if the proprietary vendor happens to be MS, which is a convicted monopolists and has a track record to go out of its way to screw with open standard and undermine inter-portability. I am very happy because this is open and if it succeeds it has the added bonus of sticking it to MS (bye bye 8.5 billions)

I do use Skype for work but it would be easy to switch to google talk (or webrtc when it matures) We had been using skype before MS bought it and the Mac users at work (the boss being one) are none too happy about MS's acquisition.

Only person I have to use Skype with at the moment is my dad because he doesn't use his gmail account for some reasons.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; February 10th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by black3agl3 View Post

if ms makes it do you really think it will be coss platform?
    *points at silverlight*
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Doesn't mean skype will die, far from it.

but this looks great. Many new products will come from it.

No client side apps anymore which is great for Linux. Skype has been hit or miss on many of my machines and the development lacked on the Linux side.

Edit: I also love seeing Mozilla and Google working together.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    Doesn't mean skype will die, far from it.
    Exactly. Things don't die just because there's an alernative. They die if the alternative is substantially better, and/or has better mindshare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast