Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrade

Beans

Question upgrade

I have Ubuntu 10.04 and I want to upgrade to 12.04 but I'm afraid if I do that things can go wrong. I'm not that good at this computer stuff and I am really comfortable with what I have so if anyone has advice for a beginner that would be great thank you for your time.

Beans

Re: upgrade

The best way to upgrade is always to back everything up on an external drive and install a fresh system with a usb stick (there are good instructions for this elsewhere, and it is very easy). http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...tick-on-ubuntu

When you install a fresh system, you get rid of all the old files which might cause weird things to happen and generally gunk-up your computer (geeks refer to this as cruft. Cruft has a more broad definition, but this is definitely a form of it).

However, if you do not want to do this, the upgrade should theoretically take care of itself without major problems. It isn't much different from a normal update, except that it is doing a whole lot of packages rather than just a few (and changing the package sources, but don't worry about that). You should still back everything up on an external drive before you do this, just to be safe. Of course, you should always back up all important data regularly.

It can cause problems, but that is the nature of computing. Most of the time, upgrading from one release to another is not a huge problem. If you encounter something, the forums are always here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well backup all your files, cause unlike other upgrades, this one is a major game changer.
    Because the difference between 10.04 and 12.04 is so gigantic, I would strongly recommend downloading a fresh copy from Ubuntu.
    This way you can test drive it, and see what exactly is so different.
    Unfortunately, the changes might not be to your liking, so I would also point you toward sibling distributions, like

Lubuntu

Xubuntu

Kubuntu
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My theory is that upgrades work better when your Ubuntu is as close to "normal" as possible. If you don't feel like you're very proficient with Ubuntu, your Ubuntu is probably very close to default, and an in-place upgrade will work just fine.

If you've really hacked around with it under-the-hood then you might run into problems.

What's the worst that can happen? Your data will still be accessible, you'll just need to reinstall Ubuntu. That takes twenty minutes.

I think it'll all work out fine for you, but even if the upgrade is a failure you can still just do a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04. Make sure you have a 12.04 CD already, just in case.

Just another note, too: Ubuntu 12.04 is two years newer than 10.04 and there are a lot of major changes. These shouldn't cause problems with the upgrade, but you'll need some time to familiarise yourself with the differences. For a start, the graphical user interface is almost totally different. Much more modern. I like it, not everyone does, but if you stick with it for a week or so you'll probably not want to go back to 10.04.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; November 17th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Why not just save your data and do a clean install. Upgrade is problem prone when you have several intermediate releases to go through and the change from 10.04 to 12.04 is quite drastic. Moreover, even if it works (which you can't know for sure until later) it takes a very long time as oppose to about 20-30 minutes to install from scratch and maybe another half an hour to reinstall your programs (you can restore your settings if you back up your /home folder and transfer the relevant configuration files to your new install, or if you have a separate /home partition you can just delete the outdated configurations before you do a reinstall)

All the upgrade doubts, questions and headaches afterwords are easily avoidable.

Beans

Hi I just did a clean install of 10.04, then an upgrade to 12.04. It did not work so well.[see post on upgrade problem] I would recommend backup plus a clean install to be safe. Good luck, Colin

Beans

Where would I get a disk of Ubuntu 12.04 so I can do a clean install? I called around to Fry's and to Micro center and they don't have it so what can I do, I believe that I'm not proficient enough to down load it from the software center here in the community.

Beans

If you must buy a copy and cannot make your own, you will have to buy it from Ubuntu's shop. But it will not be cheap as it will be shipped from the UK. Also, it will only be 32bit and unfortunately you cannot buy a legit copy of Ubuntu anywhere else.

http://shop.canonical.com/index.php?cPath=17

But making your own disk isn't hard go here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop pick 12.04 or 12.10, then when downloaded use a disc writer to write the ISO to a blank CD for 12.04 or a blank DVD for 12.10.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; March 22nd, 2013 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the information, my laptop is set up as a 32-bit unit I have a Acer 5742 when my friend put Ubuntu 10.04 he made it a 32 bit how I don't know but he did. Will you be able to assist me if I do up-grade to 12.10 but I took the tour and there it tells me that I have to install 12.04 first then I can install 12.10 is this correct? Also I tried to put 12.10 on and I stopped my self when it told me that I would lose 38 plug ins and I know that those control certain things like my e-mail, my getting on to the web, my writing programs. So my question to start is how would I back up my system I know how to get to the command screen if that is what I need to do but would I have to go through all the software that I do have installed and re install those programs? you see I'm such a beginner and I do need the coaching and the friend that put on 10.04 I can't find and I LOVE Ubuntu the ease of it, the way it is so fast, and it never fails me ever, so if you would can you please help me??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sean neilan View Post
    Thanks for the information, my laptop is set up as a 32-bit unit I have a Acer 5742 when my friend put Ubuntu 10.04 he made it a 32 bit how I don't know but he did. Will you be able to assist me if I do up-grade to 12.10 but I took the tour and there it tells me that I have to install 12.04 first then I can install 12.10 is this correct? Also I tried to put 12.10 on and I stopped my self when it told me that I would lose 38 plug ins and I know that those control certain things like my e-mail, my getting on to the web, my writing programs. So my question to start is how would I back up my system I know how to get to the command screen if that is what I need to do but would I have to go through all the software that I do have installed and re install those programs? you see I'm such a beginner and I do need the coaching and the friend that put on 10.04 I can't find and I LOVE Ubuntu the ease of it, the way it is so fast, and it never fails me ever, so if you would can you please help me??

If by upgrading to 12.10 through the network, then yes you'd have to be have 12.04 installed.
    If you're doing a fresh install of 12.10, then upgrading from 12.04 is not needed.

Do you know what 38 plugins were going to get "unplugged'?

Something about backup:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast