Thread: Format Conky output from tail or head variables

Beans

Format Conky output from tail or head variables

I don't have a problem actually, but want to ask about one feature if it exist in Conky. I'm using Conky variable ${tail} or ${head} to list content of log files. So, for instance I got file with such content:

load: 75
    disc: 45
    files: 100

And for example ${head} outputs file as is all in one color, but i want to supply ${color} option to digits to be more distinguishable from main text. Is it possible with Conky to do so ?

Beans

Re: Format Conky output from tail or head variables

You could use sed to insert color variables.
    This works if your output from the log file is always of the form text: digits.

eg
    Code:
    glen@Raring:~$ cat ~/test.txt
    load: 75
    disc: 45
    files: 100

Then use sed to add ${color} to the start of each line and replace ":" with ":${color red}"
    Code:
    glen@Raring:~$ cat ~/test.txt | sed 's/^/${color}/' | sed 's/:/:${color red}/g'
    ${color}load:${color red} 75
    ${color}disc:${color red} 45
    ${color}files:${color red} 100
    Then in conky use the execpi command to parse the inserted variables.
    eg
    Code:
    ${execpi 300 cat ~/test.txt | sed 's/^/${color}/' | sed 's/:/:${color red}/g'}

From man conky....
    execp command
    Executes a shell command and displays the output in conky. warning: this takes a lot more resources than other variables. I'd recommend coding wanted behaviour in C and posting a patch. This differs from $exec in that it parses the output of the command, so you can insert things like ${color red}hi!${color} in your script and have it correctly parsed by Conky. Caveats: Conky parses and evaluates the output of $execp every time Conky loops, and then destroys all the objects. If you try to use anything like $execi within an $execp statement, it will functionally run at the same interval that the $execp statement runs, as it is created and destroyed at every interval.

execpi interval command
    Same as execp but with specific interval. Interval can't be less than update_interval in configuration. Note that the output from the $execpi command is still parsed and evaluated at every interval.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Format Conky output from tail or head variables

That exactly what i wanted to know, awesome! Many many thanks!