Thread: Can't boot ubuntu live usb from le1700 tablet pc

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy Can't boot ubuntu live usb from le1700 tablet pc

Hi, I've been trying to run Ubuntu off of my usb drive. I've tried different distros of ubuntu but non of them work. The usb drive boots up fine on my main laptop but doesn't work on my tablet pc.

Here are pictures I took of the parts where my le1700 stops when it tries to boot. Every time I try to boot from any distro they all stop at the same places.

One of the error messages said no plug and play devices found so i tried to hooking up my external usb keyboard but that didn't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Can't boot ubuntu live usb from le1700 tablet pc

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that it has unsupported hardware or unusual hardware that needs different boot parameters.

When you boot the live CD, there is a little picture of a guy in a circle (gnome's accessibility icon) with an equal sign and a keyboard. Hit some key on the keyboard when you see this. You select a language, and then there is a menu.

At the bottom of the screen, there is a list of things you can do with F keys. The one on the bottom right has several boot options you change. I'd suggest starting with `nomodeset`. `acpi=off` can also be the ticket sometimes. Let us know if you get any farther with that.

I don't really know your hardware, and it might help you to do a google search for 'le 1700 linux' or something like that. Whatever the problem is, you are not the first to have it. Keep us posted on anything you find.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by aaron christianson View Post
    i'm going to make a wild guess and say that it has unsupported hardware or unusual hardware that needs different boot parameters.

When you boot the live cd, there is a little picture of a guy in a circle (gnome's accessibility icon) with an equal sign and a keyboard. Hit some key on the keyboard when you see this. You select a language, and then there is a menu.

At the bottom of the screen, there is a list of things you can do with f keys. The one on the bottom right has several boot options you change. I'd suggest starting with `nomodeset`. `acpi=off` can also be the ticket sometimes. Let us know if you get any farther with that.

I don't really know your hardware, and it might help you to do a google search for 'le 1700 linux' or something like that. Whatever the problem is, you are not the first to have it. Keep us posted on anything you find.
    +1
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I also don't know if your hardware is supported. I can think of a couple of things to try as boot parameters to see if it helps:

acpi=no, noapic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi BlueFontBold,

Also try editing the boot kernel to add:
    Code:
    i915.modeset=0
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=18

Other Motion Computing LE1600 or 1700 links:
    http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Motion_Computing_LE1600
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1061660

Beans

Smile Re: Can't boot ubuntu live usb from le1700 tablet pc

I finally got it to work everyone!!! This is what I did.

First I followed Aaron Christianson's advice to

At the bottom of the screen, there is a list of things you can do with F keys. The one on the bottom right has several boot options you change. I'd suggest starting with `nomodeset`. `acpi=off` can also be the ticket sometimes. Let us know if you get any farther with that.
    That did kind of work, I was able to get past the boot screen, but my pen/digitizer wasn't working. I couldn't move the mouse with my pen at all.

So the next thing I did was look at Favux's advice about editing the boot kernal to add i915.modeset=0. The problem was that I was running from a usb so I couldn't edit the grub file from my windows computer.

So I had to follow a combination of this advice

http://askubuntu.com/questions/38217...s-needed-error

I used this advice to figure out how to access grub from Ubuntu on my usb

and this advice http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=18

And this advice to find out what to edit in the grub file

Luckily I had a usb mouse so I could still access the terminal and stuff.

Now my pen/digitizer works perfectly. Thanks to everyone for helping me get this to work!!!

Now two additional questions, can you install ubuntu on a SD card and is there anyway to get the function buttons to work on my tablet pc?