Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the oldest computer you are using?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What is the oldest computer you are using?

My oldest computers are:
    1. A Dell laptop with a P-III 500mHz with 384MB RAM and a 40GB HDD. It is running Lubuntu 12.04 and is used for playing music in the small "comendor" of my wife.
    2. A HP Vectra Small Forms Factor with P-III 650mHz also with 384MB and a 250+300GB HDD. It is running XP and it is down in the cabinet and used as file server and it is running "The Dude" using SNMP to monitor my network.

In the cabinet I still have a working 486DX66 with 16MB and 500MB HDD. It runs WfW 3.11 using TCP/IP. Currently I have no space for it.
    Last edited by BertN45; November 16th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: What is the oldest computer you are using?

The Acer Aspire 5101 I am currently using as my surfing machine is about 6 years old. It has a 60GB HDD and 2GB of RAM and it zips along quite nicely on Lubuntu 12.10 running XCMPMGR + Cairo Dock with Nautilus instead of PCMANFM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Currently, a mix of some broken computers I found with a pentium 4 and 512mb of ram.

A while ago, I tried to put lubuntu on a 14 year old IBM aptiva with 64mb of ram and an AMD k6-2. It didn't work, but I put tinycore on it with the LXDE interface, which was good enough.

I currently have in my possession a 16 year old IBM aptiva with 32mb of ram and a pentium CPU at 133mhz. I may or may not put tinycore on it, most likely I'll just take it apart, smash it, and take the magnets out of the hard drive...
    The main difference between Windows forums and the Ubuntu forums is that the Ubuntu forums has hundreds of questions and thousands of answers, but Windows forums just have hundreds of questions.
    As for the OS X forums, I wouldn't know, I'm too poor.

Beans

Oldest is an old Micron circa 1998 with a 333 Mhz PII CPU and 512MB RAM.

It'll run a minimal Lubuntu install but it's better with Puppy ...... I rather prefer MacPup

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was running Xubuntu (10.04 i think) on a Hitachi Visionbook Plus 5000 which has a 166MHz Pentium MMX CPU upgraded RAM to 128mb. Upgraded HHD to 10gb. PCMCIA Wifi netgear card or PCMCIA Ethernet card. Recently tried booting it and the CMOS battery must be dead cause BIOS shows some weird error.

Next oldest machine is a Dell Dimension 8200 2.4ghz P4 with 256mb RAM. Headless 10.04.4 Ubuntu Server with Mythtv Backend, Sabnzb+, Transmission-Daemon.

I have a lot of old hardware sitting around celeron and p4's, DDR ram.

Believe it or not, I haven't purchased new hardware since the 1.8ghz Core2Duo came out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

My home server is a Dell Dimension 2400. It's about 9 or 10 years old.
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Hidden!

The oldest computer I regularly use is my day-to-day laptop, about 3-4 years old. I also have an older computer, which came with Win98SE and is about 12 years old, and currently has Ubuntu 6.06 on it. There are also a couple of Commodore 128s gathering dust in the spare bedroom. I can't remember when I last powered up any of the older machines.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

the oldest i use is my desktop (my highest performer), i have a old Pentium 4/3 for in the corner that no one uses, there is a old system i got free that in the kitchen that needs a decent wifi card i think it is athlon 64
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    The oldest computer I regularly use is my day-to-day laptop, about 3-4 years old. I also have an older computer, which came with Win98SE and is about 12 years old, and currently has Ubuntu 6.06 on it. There are also a couple of Commodore 128s gathering dust in the spare bedroom. I can't remember when I last powered up any of the older machines.
    Hello, Lisati,

128D in that collection? If you decide to part with it, a caring home for it awaits
    -----

The oldest computer I still power up once in a while is our C64C. It has its pride of place next to my main rig. We have an assortment of Amigas, but dont really use them much anymore, unless my brother in a couple of weeks manages to install Debian on the Amiga 4000. The main Amiga I use is the Amiga CD32 when I want to kick back and relax playing Agony or something (usually on WoW maintenance nights lol). I'm hoping we kept on to our old Toshiba laptop, but I don't remember which model it is!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: What is the oldest computer you are using?

Refurbished 6 year old computer with Ubuntu.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast